How flexible are real wages in EU countries? A panel investigation
In this paper we estimate the degree of real wage flexibility in 19 EU countries in a wage Phillips curve panel framework. We find evidence for a reaction of wage growth to unemployment and productivity growth. However, due to unemployment persistence, over time the real wage response weakens substantially. Our results suggest that the degree of real wage flexibility tends to be larger in the central and eastern European (CEE) countries than in the euro area; weaker in downturns than during upswings. Moreover, there exists an inflation threshold, below which real wage flexibility seems to decrease. Finally, we find that part of the heterogeneity in real wage flexibility and unemployment might be related to differences in the wage bargaining institutions and more specifically the extent of labour market regulation in different country groups within the EU. JEL Classification: J31, J38, P5
|Date of creation:||Jul 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 60640 Frankfurt am Main, Germany|
Phone: +49 69 1344 0
Fax: +49 69 1344 6000
Web page: http://www.ecb.europa.eu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- L. Nunziata, 2002.
"Institutions and Wage Determination: A Multi-Country Approach,"
433, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Luca Nunziata, 2005. "Institutions and Wage Determination: a Multi-country Approach," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 67(4), pages 435-466, 08.
- Luca Nunziata, 2001. "Institutions and Wage Determination: a Multi-Country Approach," Economics Papers 2001-W29, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Julián Messina & Chiara Strozzi & Jarkko Turunen, 2008.
"Real Wages over the Business Cycle: OECD Evidence from the Time and Frequency Domains,"
Center for Economic Research (RECent)
028, University of Modena and Reggio E., Dept. of Economics "Marco Biagi".
- Messina, Julian & Strozzi, Chiara & Turunen, Jarkko, 2009. "Real wages over the business cycle: OECD evidence from the time and frequency domains," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 1183-1200, June.
- Messina, Julián & Strozzi, Chiara & Turunen, Jarkko, 2008. "Real Wages over the Business Cycle: OECD Evidence from the Time and Frequency Domains," IZA Discussion Papers 3884, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Messina, Julián & Strozzi, Chiara & Turunen, Jarkko, 2009. "Real wages over the business cycle: OECD evidence from the time and frequency domains," Working Paper Series 1003, European Central Bank.
- Julian Messina & Chiara Strozzi & Jarkko Turunen, 2009. "Real Wages over the Business Cycle: OECD Evidence from the Time and Frequency Domains," Working Papers 2009-02, FEDEA.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ecb:ecbwps:20111360. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Official Publications)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.