Abertura Comercial, Desigualdade Salarial E Sindicalização
This paper presents a new assessment the Stolper-Samuelson Theorem, relaxing the neoclassical hypothesis of perfect factor mobility and wage flexibility. We build a model economy in which some sector face imperfect competition and workers are unionized in those sector, so that wages are not flexible. The model predicts that the impact of trade openness on wage differentials is smaller in unionized sector, since they suffer two opposite effect. First, we have the standard Stolper-Samuelson effect. The second effect relates to the additional partial adjustment process between wages and employment due to the unionization, dampening down the Stolper-Samuelson effect, since it restricts factor mobility between sectors, thus reducing wages changes. For unionized sectors, we construct an alternative version of the mandates wages empirical model incorporating the effects of wage bargaining. We test the new model for the United States and we found evidence of a positive impact of trade openness on wage differentials for that economy.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 55 21 2709 7154
Web page: http://www.anpec.org.br
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Secretaria da ANPEC Rua Tiradentes, 17 - Ingá Niterói, RJ 24210-510 Brazil|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Donald R. Davis, 1996.
"Does European Unemployment Prop Up American Wages?,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1752, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Donald R. Davis, 1996. "Does European Unemployment Prop up American Wages?," NBER Working Papers 5620, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hosios, Arthur J, 1990. "Factor Market Search and the Structure of Simple General Equilibrium Models," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(2), pages 325-55, April.
- Alan Krueger, 1997.
"Labor Market Shifts and the Price Puzzle Revisited,"
754, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Alan B. Krueger, 1997. "Labor Market Shifts and the Price Puzzle Revisited," NBER Working Papers 5924, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Johnson, George & Stafford, Frank, 1999. "The labor market implications of international trade," Handbook of Labor Economics, in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 34, pages 2215-2288 Elsevier.
- Edward E. Leamer, 1994. "Trade, Wages and Revolving Door Ideas," NBER Working Papers 4716, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Paul Krugman & Robert Lawrence, 1993. "Trade, Jobs, and Wages," NBER Working Papers 4478, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Timothy C.G. Fisher & Robert G. Waschik, 2000. "Union bargaining power, relative wages, and efficiency in Canada," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 33(3), pages 742-765, August.
- Jones, Ronald W, 1971. "Distortions in Factor Markets and the General Equilibrium Model of Production," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 79(3), pages 437-59, May-June.
- Luca Nunziata, 2001.
"Institutions and Wage Determination: a Multi-Country Approach,"
2001-W29, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Luca Nunziata, 2005. "Institutions and Wage Determination: a Multi-country Approach," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 67(4), pages 435-466, 08.
- L. Nunziata, 2002. "Institutions and Wage Determination: A Multi-Country Approach," Working Papers 433, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Francine D. Blau & Lawrence M. Kahn, 1994.
"International Differences in Male Wage Inequality: Institutions versus Market Forces,"
NBER Working Papers
4678, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blau, Francine D & Kahn, Lawrence M, 1996. "International Differences in Male Wage Inequality: Institutions versus Market Forces," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 104(4), pages 791-836, August.
- Neary, J Peter, 1978. "Short-Run Capital Specificity and the Pure Theory of International Trade," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 88(351), pages 488-510, September.
- Baldwin, Robert E & Cain, Glen C, 1997.
"Shifts in US Relative Wages: The Role of Trade, Technology and Factor Endowments,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1596, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- R. E. Baldwin & G. G. Cain, . "Shifts in U.S. Relative Wages: The Role of Trade, Technology, and Factor Endowments," Institute for Research on Poverty Discussion Papers 1132-97, University of Wisconsin Institute for Research on Poverty.
- Robert E. Baldwin & Glen G. Cain, 1997. "Shifts in U.S. Relative Wages: The Role of Trade, Technology and Factor Endowments," NBER Working Papers 5934, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Brecher, Richard A, 1974. "Minimum Wage Rates and the Pure Theory of International Trade," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 88(1), pages 98-116, February.
- MAULEON, Ana & VANNETLEBOSCH, Vincent J., 2001. "Efficiency Wages, Unio-Firm Bargaining, and Strikes," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 2001010, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Drew Fudenberg & Jean Tirole, 1991. "Game Theory," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262061414, June.
- Jeffrey D. Sachs & Howard J. Shatz, 1994. "Trade and Jobs in Manufacturing," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 25(1), pages 1-84.
- Oswald, Andrew J, 1985. " The Economic Theory of Trade Unions: An Introductory Survey," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 87(2), pages 160-93.
- Krueger, Alan B & Summers, Lawrence H, 1988. "Efficiency Wages and the Inter-industry Wage Structure," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(2), pages 259-93, March.
- Peter Gottschalk & Timothy M. Smeeding, 1997. "Cross-National Comparisons of Earnings and Income Inequality," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 35(2), pages 633-687, June.
- Krugman, Paul, 1980. "Scale Economies, Product Differentiation, and the Pattern of Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(5), pages 950-59, December.
- Layard, Richard & Nickell, Stephen & Jackman, Richard, 1991.
"Unemployment: Macroeconomic Performance and the Labour Market,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780198284345, March.
- Layard, Richard & Nickell, Stephen & Jackman, Richard, 2005. "Unemployment: Macroeconomic Performance and the Labour Market," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199279173, March.
- Leamer, Edward E, 1996. "Wage Inequality from International Competition and Technological Change: Theory and Country Experience," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(2), pages 309-14, May.
- Ethier, Wilfred J., 1984. "Higher dimensional issues in trade theory," Handbook of International Economics, in: R. W. Jones & P. B. Kenen (ed.), Handbook of International Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 3, pages 131-184 Elsevier.
- Davidson, Carl & Martin, Lawrence & Matusz, Steven, 1999. "Trade and search generated unemployment," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 271-299, August.
- John M. Abowd, 1990. "The NBER Immigration, Trade, and Labor Markets Data Files," NBER Working Papers 3351, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Creedy, John & McDonald, Ian M, 1991. "Models of Trade Union Behaviour: A Synthesis," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 67(199), pages 346-59, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:anp:en2005:073. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Hugo E. A. da Gama Cerqueira)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.