Acquiring foreign languages: a two-sided market approach
We examine patterns of acquiring non-native languages in a model with two languages corresponding to two populations with heterogeneous learning skills, where every individual faces the choice of self learning the foreign language or refraining from doing so. We then introduce a profit-maximizing international school with two divisions (one in each population) so that each individual may now also choose to learn the other language at school. Comparative statics are analyzed in each model, and the solutions of both models are compared.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published by: ECARES|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Av. F.D., Roosevelt, 39, 1050 Bruxelles|
Phone: (32 2) 650 30 75
Fax: (32 2) 650 44 75
Web page: http://difusion.ulb.ac.be
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Triole, 2002.
"Platform Competition in Two Sided Markets,"
FMG Discussion Papers
dp409, Financial Markets Group.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Tirole, 2003. "Platform Competition in Two-Sided Markets," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 1(4), pages 990-1029, 06.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Tirole, 2014. "Platform Competition in Two-Sided Markets," CPI Journal, Competition Policy International, vol. 10.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Triole, 2002. "Platform competition in two sided markets," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 24929, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Rochet, Jean-Charles & Tirole, Jean, 2003. "Platform Competition in Two-Sided Markets," IDEI Working Papers 152, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Shy,Oz, 2001.
"The Economics of Network Industries,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521800952.
- Ginsburgh, Victor & Ortuño-Ortín, Ignacio & Weber, Shlomo, 2007.
"Learning foreign languages: Theoretical and empirical implications of the Selten and Pool model,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 64(3-4), pages 337-347.
- GINSBURGH, Victor & ORTUÑO-ORTÍN, Ignacio & WEBER, Shlomo, . "Learning foreign languages: Theoretical and empirical implications of the Selten and Pool model," CORE Discussion Papers RP 2027, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Ginsburgh, Victor & Ortuño-Ortín, Ignacio & Weber, Shlomo, 2005. "Learning Foreign Languages.Theoretical and Empirical Implications of the Selten and Pool Model," CEPR Discussion Papers 4942, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Victor Ginsburgh & Ignacio Ortuno-Ortin & Shlomo Weber, 2007. "Learning foreign languages: theoretical and empirical implications of the Selten and Pool model," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/7274, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- GABSZEWICZ, Jean J. & LAUSSEL, Didier & SONNAC, Nathalie, .
"Programming and advertising competition in the broadcasting industry,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
1873, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Jean J. Gabszewicz & Didier Laussel & Nathalie Sonnac, 2004. "Programming and Advertising Competition in the Broadcasting Industry," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(4), pages 657-669, December.
- Shlomo Weber & Jean Gabszewicz & Victor Ginsburgh, 2008.
"Bilingualism and Communicative Benefits,"
2008.17, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Simon P. Anderson & Stephen Coate, 2003.
"Market Provision of Broadcasting: A Welfare Analysis,"
Virginia Economics Online Papers
358, University of Virginia, Department of Economics.
- Simon P. Anderson & Stephen Coate, 2005. "Market Provision of Broadcasting: A Welfare Analysis," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 72(4), pages 947-972.
- Jeffrey Church & Ian King, 1993. "Bilingualism and Network Externalities," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 26(2), pages 337-45, May.
- Wright, Julian, 2003. "Optimal card payment systems," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 47(4), pages 587-612, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eca:wpaper:2010_007. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Benoit Pauwels)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.