Deepening Intraregional Trade and Investment in South Asia - The Case of the Textiles and Clothing Industry
This paper draws on recent field work within South Asia and an extensive review of secondary data to examine the dynamics of cross border trade and investment in South Asia, exploring the potential for, and obstacles to, such trade through the lens of a sector that is salient throughout South Asia : Textiles and Clothing. Despite the growing competitiveness of this sector in the SAARC region, there is very little regional interlinkage within South Asias textile and clothing industry. Currently less than 4% of SAARCs global T&C exports are traded within the region. There is growing evidence of widespread substitution of South Asia by East Asia as the sourcing hub of fabric and accessories by the regions major clothing exporters. Over 80% of the fabric needs of Bangladesh and Sri Lanka, for example, come from outside the region even though India and Pakistan are net exporters of textiles.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: JG Crawford Building #13, Asia Pacific School of Economics and Government, Australian National University, ACT 0200|
Web page: http://www.eaber.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2004.
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 42(3), pages 691-751, September.
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2004. "Trade Costs," NBER Working Papers 10480, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2004. "Trade Costs," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 593, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Meenu Tewari, 2006. "Adjustment in India's Textile and Apparel Industry: Reworking Historical Legacies in a Post-MFA World," Environment and Planning A, , vol. 38(12), pages 2325-2344, December.
- Meenu Tewari, 2006. "Adjustment in India’s textile and apparel industry: reworking historical legacies in a post-MFA world," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 38(12), pages 2325-2344, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eab:tradew:22265. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shiro Armstrong)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.