A Two-Stage Realized Volatility Approach to Estimation of Diffusion Processes with Discrete
This paper motivates and introduces a two-stage method of estimating diffusion processes based on discretely sampled observations. In the first stage we make use of the feasible central limit theory for realized volatility, as developed in Jacod (1994) and Barndorff-Nielsen and Shephard (2002), to provide a regression model for estimating the parameters in the diffusion function. In the second stage the in-fill likelihood function is derived by means of the Girsanov theorem and then used to estimate the parameters in the drift function. Consistency and asymptotic distribution theory for these estimates are established in various contexts. The finite sample performance of the proposed method is compared with that of the approximate maximum likelihood method of At-Sahalia (2002).
|Date of creation:||Jan 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.eaber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ahn, Dong-Hyun & Gao, Bin, 1999. "A Parametric Nonlinear Model of Term Structure Dynamics," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 12(4), pages 721-62.
- Hutton, James E. & Nelson, Paul I., 1986. "Quasi-likelihood estimation for semimartingales," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 245-257, July.
- Yacine Ait-Sahalia & Per A. Mykland, 2003.
"How Often to Sample a Continuous-Time Process in the Presence of Market Microstructure Noise,"
NBER Working Papers
9611, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Yacine Aït-Sahalia, 2005. "How Often to Sample a Continuous-Time Process in the Presence of Market Microstructure Noise," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 18(2), pages 351-416.
- Cox, John C & Ingersoll, Jonathan E, Jr & Ross, Stephen A, 1985. "A Theory of the Term Structure of Interest Rates," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(2), pages 385-407, March.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Jun Yu, 2003.
"Jackknifing Bond Option Prices,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1392, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Jun Yu & Peter Phillips, 2004. "Jackknifing Bond Option Prices," Econometric Society 2004 North American Winter Meetings 115, Econometric Society.
- Andrew W. Lo, 1986.
"Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Generalized Ito Processes with Discretely Sampled Data,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0059, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lo, Andrew W., 1988. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Generalized Itô Processes with Discretely Sampled Data," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 4(02), pages 231-247, August.
- Andrew W. Lo, . "Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Generalized Ito Processes with Discretely Sampled Data," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 15-86, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Ole E. Barndorff-Nielsen & Shephard, 2002.
"Econometric analysis of realized volatility and its use in estimating stochastic volatility models,"
Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B,
Royal Statistical Society, vol. 64(2), pages 253-280.
- Ole E. Barndorff-Nielsen & Neil Shephard, 2000. "Econometric analysis of realised volatility and its use in estimating stochastic volatility models," Economics Papers 2001-W4, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford, revised 05 Jul 2001.
- Elerain, Ola & Chib, Siddhartha & Shephard, Neil, 2001.
"Likelihood Inference for Discretely Observed Nonlinear Diffusions,"
Econometric Society, vol. 69(4), pages 959-93, July.
- Elerian, O. & Chib, S. & Shephard, N., 1998. "Likelihood INference for Discretely Observed Non-linear Diffusions," Economics Papers 146, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Neil Shephard & Ola Elerian & Siddhartha Chib, 1998. "Likelihood inference for discretely observed non-linear diffusions," Economics Series Working Papers 1998-W10, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Ola Elerian & Siddhartha Chib & Neil Shephard, 2000. "Likelihood inference for discretely observed non-linear diffusions," OFRC Working Papers Series 2000mf02, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Tim Bollerslev & Hao Zhou, 2001.
"Estimating stochastic volatility diffusion using conditional moments of integrated volatility,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
2001-49, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Bollerslev, Tim & Zhou, Hao, 2002. "Estimating stochastic volatility diffusion using conditional moments of integrated volatility," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 109(1), pages 33-65, July.
- Chan, K C, et al, 1992.
" An Empirical Comparison of Alternative Models of the Short-Term Interest Rate,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 47(3), pages 1209-27, July.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate CKLS(1992) estimation of interest rate models," Statistical Software Components RTZ00035, Boston College Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eab:macroe:22472. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shiro Armstrong)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.