Ex post or ex ante? On the optimal timing of merger control
We study the optimal timing of merger control by comparing the pre-and post closing enforcement. Mergers have both pro- and anticompetitive effects, and the parties(the agency and the merging firms) veri able information on them is endogenous: it depends on the timing of the merger control, as well as on some investment in evidence production. The ex post enforcement turns out optimal whenever the costs of providing veri able information on both efficiency gains and market power are sufficiently low, regardless of whether the fi rms know ex ante or not their true merger type.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://economix.fr
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Heidhues, Paul & Lagerlöf, Johan N. M., 2003.
"On the Desirability of an Efficiency Defense in Merger Control,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3841, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lagerlof, Johan N.M. & Heidhues, Paul, 2005. "On the desirability of an efficiency defense in merger control," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 23(9-10), pages 803-827, December.
- Johan Lagerlöf & Paul Heidhues, 2002. "On the Desirability of an Efficiency Defense in Merger Control," CIG Working Papers FS IV 02-08, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG).
- Johan N. M. Lagerlöf & Paul Heidhues, 2004. "On the Desirability of an Efficiency Defense in Merger Control," Royal Holloway, University of London: Discussion Papers in Economics 04/24, Department of Economics, Royal Holloway University of London, revised Oct 2004.
- Frédéric Loss & Estelle Malavolti-Grimal & Thibaud Vergé & Fabian Bergès-Sennou, 2005.
"European Competition Policy Modernization : From Notifications to Legal Exception,"
2005-38, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Loss, Frederic & Malavolti-Grimal, Estelle & Verge, Thibaud & Berges-Sennou, Fabian, 2008. "European competition policy modernization: From notifications to legal exception," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 77-98, January.
- Frederic Loss & Estelle Malavolti-Grimal & Thibaud VergÃ© & Fabian Berges, 2008. "European competition policy modernization: from notification to legal exception," Working Papers 22644, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Frédéric Loss & Estelle Malavolti & Thibaud Vergé & Fabian Bergès-Sennou, 2008. "European competition policy modernization : from notifications to legal exception," Post-Print hal-01021575, HAL.
- Ottaviani, Marco & Wickelgren, Abraham L., 2011. "Ex ante or ex post competition policy? A progress report," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 356-359, May.
- Chongwoo, Choe & Shekhar, Chander, 2009.
"Compulsory or Voluntary Pre-merger Notification? Theory and Some Evidence,"
13450, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Choe, Chongwoo & Shekhar, Chander, 2010. "Compulsory or voluntary pre-merger notification? Theory and some evidence," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 10-20, January.
- Chongwoo Choe & Chander Shekhar, 2008. "Compulsory Or Voluntary Pre-Merger Notification? Theory And Some Evidence," Monash Economics Working Papers 20/08, Monash University, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:drm:wpaper:2013-22. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Valérie Mignon)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.