Fraud, Investments and Liability Regimes in Payment Platforms
In this paper, we discuss how fraud liability regimes impact the price structure that is chosen by a monopolistic payment platform, in a setting where merchants can invest in fraud detection technologies. We show that liability allocation rules distort the price structure charged by platforms or banks to consumers and merchants with respect to a case where such a responsibility regime is not implemented. We determine the allocation of fraud losses between the payment platform and the merchants that maximises the platform's profit and we compare it to the allocation that maximises social welfare.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 200 Avenue de la République, Bât. G - 92001 Nanterre Cedex|
Web page: http://economix.fr
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Özlem Bedre-Defolie & Emilio Calvano, 2010.
"Pricing payment cards,"
ESMT Research Working Papers
ESMT-10-005, ESMT European School of Management and Technology.
- Dionne, G. & Eeckhoudt, L., 1984.
"Self-Insurance, Self-Protection and Increased Risk Aversion,"
Cahiers de recherche
8424, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Dionne, Georges & Eeckhoudt, Louis, 1985. "Self-insurance, self-protection and increased risk aversion," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 17(1-2), pages 39-42.
- DIONNE, George & EECKHOUDT, Louis, . "Self-insurance, self-protection and increased risk aversion," CORE Discussion Papers RP 623, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Tirole, 2003.
"Platform Competition in Two-Sided Markets,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
MIT Press, vol. 1(4), pages 990-1029, 06.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Triole, 2002. "Platform competition in two sided markets," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 24929, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Rochet, Jean-Charles & Tirole, Jean, 2003. "Platform Competition in Two-Sided Markets," IDEI Working Papers 152, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Triole, 2002. "Platform Competition in Two Sided Markets," FMG Discussion Papers dp409, Financial Markets Group.
- BELLEFLAME, Paul & PEITZ, Martin, .
"Platform competition and seller investment incentives,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
2339, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Belleflamme, Paul & Peitz, Martin, 2010. "Platform competition and seller investment incentives," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 54(8), pages 1059-1076, November.
- Richard J. Sullivan, 2010. "The changing nature of U.S. card payment fraud: industry and public policy options," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, issue Q II, pages 101-133.
- G. Dari Mattiacci & Francesco Parisi, 2003. "The Economics of Tort Law: A PrÃ©cis," Working Papers 03-13, Utrecht School of Economics.
- Julian Wright, 2004.
"The Determinants of Optimal Interchange Fees in Payment Systems,"
Journal of Industrial Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(1), pages 1-26, 03.
- Wright, Julian, 2001. "The Determinants of Optimal Interchange Fees in Payment Systems," Working Papers 176, Department of Economics, The University of Auckland.
- Julian Wright, 2001. "The Determinants of Optimal Interchange Fees in Payment Systems," Industrial Organization 0108001, EconWPA.
- Rochet Jean-Charles, 2003. "The Theory of Interchange Fees: A Synthesis of Recent Contributions," Review of Network Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 2(2), pages 1-28, June.
- Marianne Verdier, 2011. "Interchange Fees In Payment Card Systems: A Survey Of The Literature," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(2), pages 273-297, 04.
- Carlos Arango & Varya Taylor, 2008. "Merchant Acceptance, Costs, and Perceptions of Retail Payments: A Canadian Survey," Discussion Papers 08-12, Bank of Canada.
- repec:rje:randje:v:37:y:2006:3:p:645-667 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:drm:wpaper:2011-31. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Valérie Mignon)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.