Waiting For Signalling Quality
When a durable good of uncertain quality is introduced to the market, some consumers strategically delay their buying to the next period with the hope of learning the unknown quality. We analyze the monopolist's pricing and "waiting" strategies when consumers have strategic delay incentives. We show when the monopolist offers introductory low prices in pooling equilibria. We also find two types of separating equilibria: one where high type signals its quality by choosing a different price than the low type in the first period, and another where the high-type monopolist announces the product in the first period and waits to sell only in the second period. Waiting creates a credible cost for signalling; hence, the monopolist uses it as a signalling device.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 6-1 Mihogaoka, Ibaraki, Osaka 567-0047|
Web page: http://www.iser.osaka-u.ac.jp/index-e.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kyle Bagwell & Michael Riordan, 1988.
"High and Declining Prices Signal Product Quality,"
808, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Heidhues, Paul & Nicolas Melissas, 2003.
"Equilibria in a Dynamic Global Game: The role of cohort effects,"
Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2003
104, Royal Economic Society.
- Paul Heidhues & Nicolas Melissas, 2006. "Equilibria in a dynamic global game: the role of cohort effects," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 28(3), pages 531-557, 08.
- Heidhues, Paul & Melissas, Nicolas, 2005. "Equilibria in a Dynamic Global Game: The Role of Cohort Effects," CEPR Discussion Papers 4995, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Paul Heidhues & Nicolas Melissas, 2003. "Equilibria in a Dynamic Global Game: The Role of Cohort Effects," CIG Working Papers SP II 2003-08, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG).
- Winston T.H. Koh, 2005.
"The Micro-foundations of Intertemporal Price Discrimination,"
04-2005, Singapore Management University, School of Economics.
- Winston Koh, 2006. "The micro-foundations of intertemporal price discrimination," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 27(2), pages 393-410, January.
- Winston T.H. Koh, 2005. "The Micro-foundations of Intertemporal Price Discrimination," Microeconomics Working Papers 22456, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Carl Shapiro, 1983. "Optimal Pricing of Experience Goods," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 14(2), pages 497-507, Autumn.
- Hikmet Gunay, 2008. "The role of externalities and information aggregation in market collapse," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 35(2), pages 367-379, May.
- Milgrom, Paul & Roberts, John, 1986.
"Price and Advertising Signals of Product Quality,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(4), pages 796-821, August.
- Bing Jing, 2011. "Pricing Experience Goods: The Effects of Customer Recognition and Commitment," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 20(2), pages 451-473, 06.
- Nancy L. Stokey, 1979. "Intertemporal Price Discrimination," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 93(3), pages 355-371.
- Manaswini Bhalla, 2013. "Waterfall Versus Sprinkler Product Launch Strategy: Influencing the Herd," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(1), pages 138-165, 03.
- Francesco Squintani, 2000. "Signaling Quality by Delaying Sales," RCER Working Papers 476, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Subir Bose & Gerhard Orosel & Marco Ottaviani & Lise Vesterlund, 2008. "Monopoly pricing in the binary herding model," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 37(2), pages 203-241, November.
- Hikmet Gunay, 2008. "Information Aggregation Under Strategic Delay," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 12(23), pages 1-8.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dpr:wpaper:0877. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Fumiko Matsumoto)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.