Economic Effects of State Bans on Direct Manufacturer Sales to Car Buyers
State franchise laws prohibit auto manufacturers from making sales directly to consumers. This paper advocates eliminating state bans on direct manufacturer sales in order to provide automakers with an opportunity to reduce inventories and distribution costs by better matching production with consumer preferences.
|Date of creation:||May 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Department of Justice Antitrust Division 450 Fifth Street NW Washington, DC 20530|
Web page: http://www.justice.gov/atr/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dennis W. Carlton & Judith A. Chevalier, 2001.
"Free Riding and Sales Strategies for the Internet,"
NBER Working Papers
8067, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Carlton, Dennis W & Chevalier, Judith A, 2001. "Free Riding and Sales Strategies for the Internet," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(4), pages 441-61, December.
- Dennis W. Carlton & Judith A. Chevalier, 2001. "Free Riding and Sales Strategies for the Internet," NBER Chapters, in: E-commerce, pages 441-461 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Smith, Richard L, II, 1982. "Franchise Regulation: An Economic Analysis of State Restrictions on Automobile Distribution," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 25(1), pages 125-57, April.
- Eckard, E Woodrow, Jr, 1985. "The Effects of State Automobile Dealer Entry Regulation on New Car Prices," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 23(2), pages 223-42, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:doj:compad:200901. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tung Vu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.