What Can Be Done to Reduce the Occurrence of Piracy in the Short and Long Run?
The problem of piracy and other forms of maritime security is actually less severe than many people perceive. Nevertheless, it is a problem that needs to be addressed. To solve the problems around Somalia, the naval involvement should continue, and effective punishment for piracy must be increased. Finally, in order to fight the long-term occurrence of piracy, a land-based solution must be found. Such a solution can only work when the focus is on building institutions and particularly the fight against corruption. There are other regions in the world that may succumb to piracy and where such land-based reforms can prevent piracy from being established in the first place.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Mohrenstraße 58, D-10117 Berlin|
Web page: http://www.diw.de/en
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anja Shortland & Marc Vothknecht, 2010.
"Combating "Maritime Terrorism" off the Coast of Somalia,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
1079, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Shortland, Anja & Vothknecht, Marc, 2011. "Combating “maritime terrorism” off the coast of Somalia," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 27(S1), pages S133-S151.
- Anja Shortland & Marc Vothknecht, 2011. "Combating "Maritime Terrorism" off the Coast of Somalia," Economics of Security Working Paper Series 47, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Anja Shortland & Marc Vothknecht, 2011. "Combating "Maritime Terrorism" off the Coast of Somalia," CEDI Discussion Paper Series 11-02, Centre for Economic Development and Institutions(CEDI), Brunel University.
- de Groot, Olaf J. & Rablen, Matthew D. & Shortland, Anja, 2011.
"Gov-Aargh-Nance – “Even Criminals Need Law And Order”,"
NEPS Working Papers
7/2011, Network of European Peace Scientists.
- Olaf J. de Groot & Matthew D. Rablen & Anja Shortland, 2011. "Gov-aargh-nance: "Even Criminals Need Law and Order"," Economics of Security Working Paper Series 46, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Olaf J. de Groot & Matthew D. Rablen & Anja Shortland, 2011. "Gov-aargh-nance - "even criminals need law and order"," CEDI Discussion Paper Series 11-01, Centre for Economic Development and Institutions(CEDI), Brunel University.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:diw:diwepb:diwepb2. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bibliothek)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.