Premarital conception and divorce risk in Russia in light of the GGS data
The paper provides an analysis of divorce risk in first marital unions in Russia, with a major focus on the impact of premarital conception on the stability of subsequent marriage. A number of other predictors are also discussed, including age at first marriage, parity and age of the youngest child, parental divorce, place of residence, religion group and calendar period. The analysis is based on data from the Russian Generations and Gender Survey (GGS) carried out in 2004 and applies event history techniques. The results show that marriages induced by pregnancy run a higher divorce risk compared to those contracted without anticipation of childbirth.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.demogr.mpg.de/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sergei Schernov & Harrie Vianen, 1999. "Marital and Fertility Careers of Russian Women Born Between 1910 and 1934," Population and Development Review, The Population Council, Inc., vol. 25(1), pages 129-143.
- Lillard, L.A. & Waite, L.J., 1993.
"A Joint Model of Marital Childbearing and Marital Disruption,"
93-02, RAND - Labor and Population Program.
- Lee Lillard & Linda Waite, 1993. "A joint model of marital childbearing and marital disruption," Demography, Springer, vol. 30(4), pages 653-681, November.
- Lillard, L.A. & Waite, L.J., 1994. "A Joint Model of Marital Childbearing and Marital Disruption," Papers 94-16, RAND - Reprint Series.
- Kelly Musick, 2007. "Cohabitation, nonmarital childbearing, and the marriage process," Demographic Research, Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research, Rostock, Germany, vol. 16(9), pages 249-286, April.
- Torkild Lyngstad, 2004. "The impact of parent's and spouses' education on divorce rates in Norway," Demographic Research, Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research, Rostock, Germany, vol. 10(5), pages 121-142, April.
- Guiping Liu, 2002. "How premarital children and childbearing in current marriage influence divorce of Swedish women in their first marriages," Demographic Research, Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research, Rostock, Germany, vol. 7(10), pages 389-406, August.
- Dimiter Philipov & Aiva Jasilioniene, 2007. "Union formation and fertility in Bulgaria and Russia: a life table description of recent trends," MPIDR Working Papers WP-2007-005, Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research, Rostock, Germany.
- Magdalena M. Muszynska & Hill Kulu, 2006. "Migration and union dissolution in a changing socio-economic context: the case of Russia," MPIDR Working Papers WP-2006-032, Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research, Rostock, Germany.
- Becker, Gary S & Landes, Elisabeth M & Michael, Robert T, 1977. "An Economic Analysis of Marital Instability," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(6), pages 1141-87, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dem:wpaper:wp-2007-025. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Wilhelm)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.