Analysis of Fiscal Shocks in a Small Open Economy with Home Production
In view of the large scale of the nonmarket home sector in both developed and developing economies, in this paper we construct an open economy model with home production. We discuss both long-run and short-run impacts of fiscal policies such as income tax, consumption tax and government spending on factor allocation, capital formation and the current account. The main purpose of the paper is to elucidate the role of home production in an open economy environment. We show that in our framework both fiscal policy and the rate of substitution between market and home goods may affect the dynamic behavior of the economy. As a result, introducing home production may alter the effects of fiscal shocks on key variables in the economy. We confirm this fact by examining various policy experiments both in the short run and long run.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Niels Bohrs Vej 9, 6700 Esbjerg|
Phone: +45 6550 2233
Fax: +45 6550 1090
Web page: http://degit.sam.sdu.dk/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Greenwood, Jeremy & Hercowitz, Zvi, 1991.
"The Allocation of Capital and Time over the Business Cycle,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(6), pages 1188-1214, December.
- Greenwood, J. & Hercowitz, Z., 1991. "The Allocation of Capital and Time Over the Business Cycles," UWO Department of Economics Working Papers 9104, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- Greenwood, J. & Hercowitz, Z., 1991. "The Allocation of Capital and Time Over the Business Cycle," RCER Working Papers 268, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Stephen J. Turnovsky, 1997. "International Macroeconomic Dynamics," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262201119, September.
- Andrea Raffo, 2006. "Net exports, consumption volatility, and international real business cycle models," Research Working Paper RWP 06-01, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Andrea Raffo, 2006. "Net Exports, Consumption Volatility and International Real Business Cycle Models," 2006 Meeting Papers 128, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Jeffrey M. Wrase, 2001. "The interplay between home production and business activity," Business Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia, issue Q2, pages 23-29.
- W. E. G. Salter, 1959. "Internal And External Balance: The Role Op Price And Expenditure Effects," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 35(71), pages 226-238, 08. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:deg:conpap:c015_009. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jan Pedersen)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.