Water Service Delivery Reform in China: Safeguarding the Interests of the Poor
China faces a water scarcity problem that is severe by international standards. Many factors, including rapid urbanization and environmental degradation etc, have been challenging the water service delivery in China. Since water scarcity and quality have impact on the poor, reforms to the water service provision can produce substantial improvements in the living standard of the economically disadvantaged groups. The objective of this study is to critically evaluate the strengths and weakness of China¡¯s current water financing and delivering system, with a focus on safeguarding the interests of the poor, and to offer insight into possible solutions.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2011|
|Publication status:||Published in Annals of Economics and Finance, Nov 2012, pages 471-495|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://cema.cufe.edu.cn/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Huang,H. & Padilla,A.J., 1995. "Fiscal Policy and the Sub-Optimality of the Walsh Contract for Central Bankers," Papers 9522, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- Hongyi Li & Heng-fu Zou, 2002.
"Inflation, Growth, and Income Distribution: A Cross-Country Study,"
Annals of Economics and Finance,
Society for AEF, vol. 3(1), pages 85-101, May.
- Hongyi Li & Heng-fu Zou, 2002. "Inflation, Growth, and Income Distribution: A Cross-Country Study," CEMA Working Papers 85, China Economics and Management Academy, Central University of Finance and Economics.
- World Bank, 2001. "China : Overcoming Rural Poverty," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 13902, July.
- Gregory C. Chow, 2004. "Economic Reform and Growth in China," Annals of Economics and Finance, Society for AEF, vol. 5(1), pages 127-152, May.
- World Bank, 2002. "Agenda for Water Sector Strategy for North China : Summary Report," World Bank Other Operational Studies 15418, The World Bank.
- Yang, Hong & Zhang, Xiaohe & Zehnder, Alexander J. B., 2003. "Water scarcity, pricing mechanism and institutional reform in northern China irrigated agriculture," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 143-161, June.
- Talbot Page & Qinghua Zhang, 2003. "Distortionary, Non-Distortionary, and Distributional Properties of Environmental Taxes: Extension of Sandmo's Observation," Working Papers 2003-11, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Takero Doi & Toshihiro Ihori & Hiroki Kondo, 2002. "Government Deficits, Political Inefficiency, and Fiscal Reconstruction in Japan," Annals of Economics and Finance, Society for AEF, vol. 3(1), pages 169-183, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cuf:wpaper:430. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Qiang Gao)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.