Technological Bias and Unemployment: A Macroeconomic Perspective
This paper focuses on the macroeconomic impact of introducing new technologies (among which information technologies) when the latter stimulate the relative demand for high-skilled labour. The fact that there is biased technical progress (or at least, that growth has asymmetric effects) is little disputed. Evaluating its effect on unemployment still remains a difficult task. This paper stresses the need to rely on a genuine structural analysis. To clarify some of these issues, we develop a simple analytical framework with two types of labour (high- and low-skilled). This framework is used to distinguish macroeconomic vs structural shocks, and to illustrate the interactions between macroeconomic and structural phenomena as well as their implications for the interpretation of simple mismatch indicators. The framework is next used as a reference setup wherein to evaluate and compare the empirical modelling approaches used by different authors and the results they obtain.
|Date of creation:||01 Jun 1998|
|Date of revision:||00 Aug 1999|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Place Montesquieu 3, 1348 Louvain-la-Neuve (Belgium)|
Fax: +32 10473945
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/ires
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Manacorda, Marco & Petrongolo, Barbara, 1999.
"Skill Mismatch and Unemployment in OECD Countries,"
London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 66(262), pages 181-207, May.
- John M. Abowd & Francis Kramarz & Thomas Lemieux & David Margolis, 2000.
"Minimum Wages and Youth Employment in France and the United States,"
Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- John M. Abowd & Francis Kramarz & Thomas Lemieux & David N. Margolis, 2000. "Minimum Wages and Youth Employment in France and the United States," NBER Chapters, in: Youth Employment and Joblessness in Advanced Countries, pages 427-472 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John M. Abowd & Francis Kramarz & Thomas Lemieux & David N. Margolis, 1997. "Minimum Wages and Youth Employment in France and the United States," NBER Working Papers 6111, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Henri Sneessens, 1994. "Croissance, qualifications et chômage," Revue Française d'Économie, Programme National Persée, vol. 9(4), pages 1-33.
- Dreze, Jacques H., 1997.
"Walras--Keynes equilibria coordination and macroeconomics,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 41(9), pages 1735-1762, December.
- DREZE, Jacques H., 1997. "Walras-Keynes equilibria coordination and macroeconomics," CORE Discussion Papers 1997051, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Stephen Machin & A Ryan & John Van Reenen, 1996.
"Technology and Changes in Skill Structure: Evidence from an International Panel of Industries,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0297, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Stephen Machin & Annette Ryan & John Van Reenen, 1996. "Technology and changes in skill structure: Evidence from an international panel of industries," IFS Working Papers W96/06, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Machin, Steve & Van Reenen, John, 1996. "Technology and Changes in Skill Structure: Evidence from an International Panel of Industries," CEPR Discussion Papers 1434, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- David Card & Francis Kramarz & Thomas Lemieux, 1996.
"Changes in the Relative Structure of Wages and Employment: A Comparison of the United States, Canada, and France,"
NBER Working Papers
5487, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David Card & Francis Kramarz & Thomas Lemieux, 1999. "Changes in the Relative Structure of Wages and Employment: A Comparison of the United States, Canada, and France," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 32(4), pages 843-877, August.
- Joshua Aizenman & Pierre-Richard AgÃ©nor, 1994.
"Technological Change, Relative Wages, and Unemployment,"
IMF Working Papers
94/111, International Monetary Fund.
- Agenor, Pierre-Richard & Aizenman, Joshua, 1997. "Technological change, relative wages, and unemployment," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 187-205, February.
- repec:crs:wpaper:9652 is not listed on IDEAS
- Shadman-Mehta, Fatemeh & Sneessens, Henri, 1995. "Skill Demand and Factor Substitution," CEPR Discussion Papers 1279, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ctl:louvir:1999024. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anne DAVISTER-LOGIST)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.