Efficiency Wages, Labor Heterogeneity and the Financing of the Training Cost
We consider a dual labor market with a continuum of heterogeneous workers differentiated by their ability of acquiring a specific training. In the primary sector, jobs require specific training and firms set efficiency wages. In the secondary sector, wages are competitive and no training is required. Given workers' heterogeneity, firms in the primary sector face an elastic labor supply, so that they can be labor constrained at the efficiency wage. When this is the case, we show that firms may optimally choose to bear all the training cost in order to relax the labor supply constraint.
|Date of creation:||01 Sep 1997|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Place Montesquieu 3, 1348 Louvain-la-Neuve (Belgium)|
Fax: +32 10473945
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/ires
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Albrecht, James W. & Vroman, Susan B., 1990.
"Dual Labor Markets, Efficiency Wages, and Search,"
Working Paper Series
267, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Solow, Robert M., 1979. "Another possible source of wage stickiness," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 79-82.
- Smith, Tony E & Zenou, Yves, 1997.
"Dual Labour Markets, Urban Unemployment and Multicentric Cities,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1566, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Smith, Tony E. & Zenou, Yves, 1997. "Dual Labor Markets, Urban Unemployment, and Multicentric Cities," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 76(1), pages 185-214, September.
- SMITH, Tony E. & ZENOU, Yves, 1996. "Dual Labor Markets, Urban Unemployment and Multicentric Cities," CORE Discussion Papers 1996018, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Smith, T. E. & Zenou, Y., . "Dual labor markets, urban unemployment, and multicentric cities," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1283, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Krueger, Alan B & Summers, Lawrence H, 1988. "Efficiency Wages and the Inter-industry Wage Structure," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(2), pages 259-93, March.
- Gottfries, N. & McCormick, B., 1993.
"Discrimination and open unemployment in a segmented labour market,"
Discussion Paper Series In Economics And Econometrics
9320, Economics Division, School of Social Sciences, University of Southampton.
- Gottfries, Nils & McCormick, Barry, 1995. "Discrimination and open unemployment in a segmented labour market," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 1-15, January.
- Gottfries, N. & Mccormick, B., 1990. "Discrimination And Open Unemployment In A Segmented Labour Market," Papers 460, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Jeremy I. Bulow & Lawrence H. Summers, 1985.
"A Theory of Dual Labor Markets with Application to Industrial Policy, Discrimination and Keynesian Unemployment,"
NBER Working Papers
1666, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bulow, Jeremy I & Summers, Lawrence H, 1986. "A Theory of Dual Labor Markets with Application to Industrial Policy,Discrimination, and Keynesian Unemployment," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 4(3), pages 376-414, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ctl:louvir:1997022. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anne DAVISTER-LOGIST)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.