Numerical analysis of strategic contingent claims models
We study the numerical properties of a class of models recently introduced to calculate the values of corporate bonds and other corporate liabilities. Starting from a discrete-time extensive form game representing the consequences of financial distress, these ``strategic contingent claims models" are associated with a particular free-boundary problem. Here we consider the properties of alternative solution techniques applied to this problem. We discuss four solution techniques of the finite difference type: explicit solutions, explicit solutions of the log transformed model, implicit solutions on a regular grid, and dynamically remeshed implicit solutions. To our knowledge this last method has not previously been employed in financial applications. We find that use of dynamic remeshing can speed calculation solutions enormously. This opens the way to applying strategic contingent claims models in practical applications.
|Date of creation:||01 Sep 1996|
|Date of revision:||00 Jan 1997|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Place Montesquieu 3, 1348 Louvain-la-Neuve (Belgium)|
Fax: +32 10473945
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/ires
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Merton, Robert C, 1974.
"On the Pricing of Corporate Debt: The Risk Structure of Interest Rates,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 29(2), pages 449-70, May.
- Merton, Robert C., 1973. "On the pricing of corporate debt: the risk structure of interest rates," Working papers 684-73., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Mella-Barral, Pierre, 1995. "Optimal Debt Exchange Offers," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 1995022, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Anderson, Ronald W. & Sundaresan, Suresh & Tychon, Pierre, 1996. "Strategic analysis of contingent claims," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(3-5), pages 871-881, April.
- Black, Fischer & Cox, John C, 1976. "Valuing Corporate Securities: Some Effects of Bond Indenture Provisions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 31(2), pages 351-67, May.
- Weiss, Lawrence A., 1990. "Bankruptcy resolution: Direct costs and violation of priority of claims," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 285-314, October.
- Longstaff, Francis A & Schwartz, Eduardo S, 1995. " A Simple Approach to Valuing Risky Fixed and Floating Rate Debt," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(3), pages 789-819, July.
- Pierre Mella-Barral & William R M Perraudin, 1993.
"Strategic Debt Service,"
CEPR Financial Markets Paper
0039, European Science Foundation Network in Financial Markets, c/o C.E.P.R, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ..
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-54, May-June.
- Anderson, Ronald W & Sundaresan, Suresh, 1996. "Design and Valuation of Debt Contracts," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 9(1), pages 37-68.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ctl:louvir:1997004. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anne DAVISTER-LOGIST)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.