Pure Strategy Equilibria Of Single And Double Auctions With Interdependent Values
We prove the existence of monotonic pure strategy equilibrium for many types of asymmetric auctions with n bidders and unitary demands, interdependent values and independent types. The assumptions require monotonicity only in the own bidder's type. The payments can be a function of all bids. Thus, we provide a new equilibrium existence result for asymmetrical double auctions and a small number of bidders. The generality of our setting requires the use of special tie-breaking rules. We present a reasonable counterexample for interdependent values auctions that shows that sometimes all equilibria are trivial, that is, they have zero probability of trade. Nevertheless, we give sufficient conditions for non-trivial equilibrium existence.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +34-91 6249594
Fax: +34-91 6249329
Web page: http://www.eco.uc3m.es
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Simon, Leo K. & Zame, William R., 1987.
"Discontinous Games and Endogenous Sharing Rules,"
Department of Economics, Working Paper Series
qt8n46v2wv, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Amann, Erwin & Leininger, Wolfgang, 1996. "Asymmetric All-Pay Auctions with Incomplete Information: The Two-Player Case," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 1-18, May.
- Athey, Susan, 2001.
"Single Crossing Properties and the Existence of Pure Strategy Equilibria in Games of Incomplete Information,"
Econometric Society, vol. 69(4), pages 861-89, July.
- Athey, S., 1997. "Sigle Crossing Properties and the Existence of Pure Strategy Equilibria in Games of Incomplete Information," Working papers 97-11, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Williams, Steven R, 1991. "Existence and Convergence of Equilibria in the Buyer's Bid Double Auction," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(2), pages 351-74, April.
- Akerlof, George A, 1970. "The Market for 'Lemons': Quality Uncertainty and the Market Mechanism," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 84(3), pages 488-500, August.
- Aloisio Araujo & Luciano Castro & Humberto Moreira, 2008.
"Non-monotoniticies and the all-pay auction tie-breaking rule,"
Springer, vol. 35(3), pages 407-440, June.
- Aloisio Araujo & Luciano I. de Castro & Humberto Moreira, 2006. "Non-Monotoniticies And The All-Pay Auction Tie-Breaking Rule," Economics Working Papers we065924, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Matthew O. Jackson & Jeroen M. Swinkels, 2005.
"Existence of Equilibrium in Single and Double Private Value Auctions,"
Econometric Society, vol. 73(1), pages 93-139, 01.
- Jackson, Matthew O. & Jeroen Swinkels, 2004. "Existence of Equilibrium in Single and Double Private Value Auctions," Working Papers 1192, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Drew Fudenberg & Markus M. Mobius & Adam Szeidl, 2004.
"Existence of Equilibrium in Large Double Auctions,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
2033, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Fudenberg, Drew & Mobius, Markus & Szeidl, Adam, 2007. "Existence of Equilibrium in Large Double Auctions," Scholarly Articles 3043420, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Fudenberg, Drew & Mobius, Markus & Szeidl, Adam, 2010. "Existence of Equilibrium in Large Double Auctions," Staff General Research Papers 32111, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Maskin, Eric & Riley, John, 2000. "Equilibrium in Sealed High Bid Auctions," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 67(3), pages 439-54, July.
- Milgrom, P. & Shannon, C., 1991.
"Monotone Comparative Statics,"
11, Stanford - Institute for Thoretical Economics.
- Milgrom, Paul R, 1981. "Rational Expectations, Information Acquisition, and Competitive Bidding," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 921-43, June.
- Philip J Reny & Motty Perry, 2006. "Toward a Strategic Foundation for Rational Expectations Equilibrium," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 74(5), pages 1231-1269, 09.
- Vives, Xavier, 1990.
"Nash equilibrium with strategic complementarities,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 305-321.
- Lizzeri, Alessandro & Persico, Nicola, 2000. "Uniqueness and Existence of Equilibrium in Auctions with a Reserve Price," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 83-114, January.
- Philip J. Reny & Shmuel Zamir, 2002.
"On the Existence of Pure Strategy Monotone Equilibria in Asymmetric First-Price Auctions,"
Discussion Paper Series
dp292, The Federmann Center for the Study of Rationality, the Hebrew University, Jerusalem.
- Philip J. Reny & Shmuel Zamir, 2004. "On the Existence of Pure Strategy Monotone Equilibria in Asymmetric First-Price Auctions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 72(4), pages 1105-1125, 07.
- Luciano I. De Castro & Alvaro Riascos, 2007. "Characterization of Bidding Behavior in Multi-Unit," DOCUMENTOS CEDE 004382, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
- William Vickrey, 1961. "Counterspeculation, Auctions, And Competitive Sealed Tenders," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 16(1), pages 8-37, 03.
- David McAdams, 2003. "Isotone Equilibrium in Games of Incomplete Information," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(4), pages 1191-1214, 07.
- Moreira, Humberto Ataíde & Araújo, Aloísio Pessoa de & Castro Filho, Luciano I. de Castro Filho, 2004.
"Pure strategy equilibria of multidimensional and Non-monotonic auctions,"
Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE)
571, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Aloisio Araujo & Luciano I. de Castro Filho, 2004. "Pure Strategy Equilibria of Multidimensional and Non-Monotonic Auctions," Econometric Society 2004 Latin American Meetings 300, Econometric Society.
- Matthew O. Jackson & Leo K. Simon & Jeroen M. Swinkels & William R. Zame, 2002. "Communication and Equilibrium in Discontinuous Games of Incomplete Information," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(5), pages 1711-1740, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cte:werepe:we065320. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.