Underweighting Rare Events in Experience Based Decisions: Beyond Sample Error
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Barron, Greg & Ursino, Giovanni, 2013. "Underweighting rare events in experience based decisions: Beyond sample error," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 39(C), pages 278-286.
References listed on IDEAS
- Rakow, Tim & Demes, Kali A. & Newell, Ben R., 2008. "Biased samples not mode of presentation: Re-examining the apparent underweighting of rare events in experience-based choice," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Elsevier, vol. 106(2), pages 168-179, July.
- Mohammed Abdellaoui & Olivier L'Haridon & Corina Paraschiv, 2011.
"Experienced vs. Described Uncertainty: Do We Need Two Prospect Theory Specifications?,"
INFORMS, pages 1879-1895.
- Mohammed Abdellaoui & Olivier L'Haridon & Corina Paraschiv, 2011. "Experienced vs. Described Uncertainty: Do We Need Two Prospect Theory Specifications?," Post-Print hal-00638008, HAL.
- Tversky, Amos & Kahneman, Daniel, 1992. "Advances in Prospect Theory: Cumulative Representation of Uncertainty," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 5(4), pages 297-323, October.
- Starmer, Chris & Sugden, Robert, 1991. "Does the Random-Lottery Incentive System Elicit True Preferences? An Experimental Investigation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(4), pages 971-978, September.
- Craig R. Fox & Amos Tversky, 1998. "A Belief-Based Account of Decision Under Uncertainty," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(7), pages 879-895, July.
- Jerker Denrell & James G. March, 2001. "Adaptation as Information Restriction: The Hot Stove Effect," Organization Science, INFORMS, vol. 12(5), pages 523-538, October.
- Ido Erev & Ira Glozman & Ralph Hertwig, 2008. "What impacts the impact of rare events," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 36(2), pages 153-177, April.
- Holt, Charles A, 1986. "Preference Reversals and the Independence Axiom," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(3), pages 508-515, June.
- Eldad Yechiam & Greg Barron & Ido Erev, 2005. "The Role of Personal Experience in Contributing to Different Patterns of Response to Rare Terrorist Attacks," Journal of Conflict Resolution, Peace Science Society (International), vol. 49(3), pages 430-439, June.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Di Guida, Sibilla & Erev, Ido & Marchiori, Davide, 2015. "Cross cultural differences in decisions from experience: Evidence from Denmark, Israel, and Taiwan," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 49(C), pages 47-58.
- Emmanuel Kemel & Muriel Travers, 2016.
"Comparing attitudes toward time and toward money in experience-based decisions,"
Theory and Decision,
Springer, pages 71-100.
- Emmanuel Kemel & Muriel Travers, 2016. "Comparing attitudes toward time and toward money in experience-based decisions," Theory and Decision, Springer, vol. 80(1), pages 71-100, January.
- Hanan Shteingart & Yonatan Loewenstein, 2016. "Heterogeneous Suppression of Sequential Effects in Random Sequence Generation, but not in Operant Learning," Discussion Paper Series dp701, The Federmann Center for the Study of Rationality, the Hebrew University, Jerusalem.
More about this item
Keywordsexperience-based decisions; Prospect Theory; rare event; overweighting; underweighting;
- D81 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Criteria for Decision-Making under Risk and Uncertainty
- C91 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Design of Experiments - - - Laboratory, Individual Behavior
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-12-11 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBE-2009-12-11 (Cognitive & Behavioural Economics)
- NEP-EXP-2009-12-11 (Experimental Economics)
- NEP-NEU-2009-12-11 (Neuroeconomics)
- NEP-UPT-2009-12-11 (Utility Models & Prospect Theory)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ctc:serie4:ieil0054. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lorenzo Cappellari). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/dscatit.html .