Has Japan Been 'Opening-Up?': Empirical Analytics of Trade Patterns
The US–Japan trade dispute has been widely reported. It continues to threaten the stability of the world trading order because the United States alleges that the Japanese market remains ‘closed’ to its exports. The Clinton administration has made it clear that it will judge the openness of the Japanese market by results. In light of this, this paper examines how the pattern of Japan’s total multilateral trade and trade with the United States has changed between 1981 and 1991. It finds that between 1986 and 1991, more than half of the growth in Japan’s total multilateral trade, and all of the growth in trade with the United States, was a result of intraindustry trade growth. The paper also finds that most of the growth in intra-industry trade is a result of import growth in net export industries. This is the type of trade that the United States has been urging Japan to increase and is consistent with an opening-up of the Japanese market.
|Date of creation:||Jan 1997|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Canberra ACT 2601|
Phone: (61-2) 6249 3780
Fax: (61-2) 6249 3941
Web page: https://crawford.anu.edu.au/research_units/ajrc/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Athukorala, Premachandra & Menon, Jayant, 1994.
"Pricing to Market Behaviour and Exchange Rate Pass-Through in Japanese Exports,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 104(423), pages 271-281, March.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala & Jayant Menon, 1992. "Pricing to Market Behaviour and Exchange Rate Pass-Through in Japanese Exports," Working Papers 1992.32, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala & Jayant Menon, 1992. "Pricing to Market Behaviour and Exchange Rate Pass-Through in Japanese Exports," Working Papers 1992.32 EDIRC Provider-In, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
- Gary R. Saxonhouse, 1993. "What Does Japanese Trade Structure Tell Us about Japanese Trade Policy?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 7(3), pages 21-43, Summer.
- Saxonhouse, G.R., 1993. "What Does Japanese Trade Structure Tell Us about Japanese Trade Policy?," Working Papers 337, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:csg:ajrcau:263. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Akira Kinefuchi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.