How Different Is Japanese Corporate Finance? An Investigation of the Information Content of New Security Issues
This article studies the shareholder wealth effects associated with 875 new security issues in Japan from January 1, 1985, to May 31, 1991. The announcement of convertible debt issues has a significant positive abnormal return of 1.05 percent. There is an abnormal return of 0.45 percent at the announcement of equity issues that is offset by an abnormal return of 1.01 percent on the issue day. Abnormal returns are negatively related to firm size, so that large Japanese firms have abnormal returns less different from those of U.S. firms than small Japanese firms. Our evidence is consistent with the view that Japanese managers decide to issue shares based on different considerations than American managers. Article published by Oxford University Press on behalf of the Society for Financial Studies in its journal, The Review of Financial Studies.
Volume (Year): 9 (1996)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Oxford University Press, Journals Department, 2001 Evans Road, Cary, NC 27513 USA.|
Web page: http://www.rfs.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www4.oup.co.uk/revfin/subinfo/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Philip H. Dybvig & Jaime F. Zender, 1988.
"Capital Structure and dividend Irrelevance with Asymmetric Information,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
878, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Dybvig, Philip H & Zender, Jaime F, 1991. "Capital Structure and Dividend Irrelevance with Asymmetric Information," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 4(1), pages 201-19.
- Scholes, Myron & Williams, Joseph, 1977. "Estimating betas from nonsynchronous data," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 309-327, December.
- Steven N. Kaplan, 1992. "Top Executive Rewards and Firm Performance: A Comparison of Japan and the U.S," NBER Working Papers 4065, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Takeo Hoshi & Anil Kashyap & David Scharfstein, 1993. "The Choice Between Public and Private Debt: An Analysis of Post-Deregulation Corporate Financing in Japan," NBER Working Papers 4421, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gary R. Saxonhouse, 1993.
"What Does Japanese Trade Structure Tell Us about Japanese Trade Policy?,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 7(3), pages 21-43, Summer.
- Saxonhouse, G.R., 1993. "What Does Japanese Trade Structure Tell Us about Japanese Trade Policy?," Working Papers 337, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Robert A. Korajczyk & Deborah Lucas & Robert L. McDonald, 1990.
"Understanding Stock Price Behavior around the Time of Equity Issues,"
in: Asymmetric Information, Corporate Finance, and Investment, pages 257-278
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert A. Korajczyk & Deborah J. Lucas & Robert L. McDonald, 1989. "Understanding Stock Price Behavior around the Time of Equity Issues," NBER Working Papers 3170, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eckbo, B. Espen & Masulis, Ronald W., 1992. "Adverse selection and the rights offer paradox," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 293-332, December.
- Michael E. Porter, 1992. "Capital Choices: Changing The Way America Invests In Industry," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 5(2), pages 4-16.
- repec:fth:michin:337 is not listed on IDEAS
- Persons, John C, 1994. "Renegotiation and the Impossibility of Optimal Investment," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 7(2), pages 419-49.
- Lease, Ronald C & Masulis, Ronald W & Page, John R, 1991. " An Investigation of Market Microstructure Impacts on Event Study Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(4), pages 1523-36, September.
- Shyam-Sunder, Lakshmi, 1991. "The Stock Price Effect of Risky versus Safe Debt," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 26(04), pages 549-558, December.
- Hamao, Yasushi & Hasbrouck, Joel, 1995.
"Securities Trading in the Absence of Dealers: Trades and Quotes on the Tokyo Stock Exchange,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 8(3), pages 849-78.
- Hamao, Y. & Hasbrouck, J., 1992. "Securities Trading in the Absence of Dealers: Trade and Quotes on the Tokyo Stock Exchange," Papers 92-35, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Admati, Anat R & Pfleiderer, Paul, 1994. " Robust Financial Contracting and the Role of Venture Capitalists," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(2), pages 371-402, June.
- Smith, Clifford Jr., 1986. "Investment banking and the capital acquisition process," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1-2), pages 3-29.
- French, Kenneth R. & Poterba, James M., 1991.
"Were Japanese stock prices too high?,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 337-363, October.
- French, K.R. & Poterba, J.M., 1990. "Are Japanese Stock Prices Too High?," Working papers 547, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Kenneth R. French & James M. Poterba, 1990. "Were Japanese Stock Prices Too High?," NBER Working Papers 3290, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kato, Kiyoshi & Schallheim, James S., 1993. "Private equity financings in Japan and corporate grouping (keiretsu)," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 1(3), pages 287-307, September.
- Asquith, Paul & Mullins, David Jr., 1986. "Equity issues and offering dilution," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1-2), pages 61-89.
- Wruck, Karen Hopper, 1989. "Equity ownership concentration and firm value : Evidence from private equity financings," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 3-28, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:oup:rfinst:v:9:y:1996:i:1:p:109-39. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.