Estimating the Marginal Law of a Time Series with Applications to Heavy Tailed Distributions
This article addresses estimating parametric marginal densities of stationary time series in the absence of precise information on the dynamics of the underlying process. We propose using an estimator obtained by maximization of the "quasi-marginal" likelihood, which is a likelihood written as if the observations were independent. We study the effect of the (neglected) dynamics on the asymptotic behavior of this estimator. The consistency and asymptotic normality of the estimator are established under mild assumptions on the dependence structure. Applications of the asymptotic results to the estimation of stable, generalized extreme value and generalized Pareto distributions are proposed. The theoretical results are illustrated on financial index returns. Supplementary materials for this article are available online.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Bâtiment ENSAE, 5 rue Henry LE Chatelier, 91120 Palaiseau|
Phone: 01 41 17 60 81
Web page: http://crest.science
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cotter, John, 2007.
"Varying the VaR for unconditional and conditional environments,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 26(8), pages 1338-1354, December.
- Cotter, John, 2004. "Varying the VaR for Unconditional and Conditional Environments," MPRA Paper 3483, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- John Cotter, 2011. "Varying the VaR for Unconditional and Conditional Environments," Papers 1103.5649, arXiv.org.
- John Cotter, 2011. "Varying the VaR for Unconditional and Conditional Environments," Working Papers 200419, Geary Institute, University College Dublin.
- Jansen, Dennis W & de Vries, Casper G, 1991.
"On the Frequency of Large Stock Returns: Putting Booms and Busts into Perspective,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 73(1), pages 18-24, February.
- Dennis W. Jansen & Casper de Vries, 1988. "On the frequency of large stock returns: putting booms and busts into perspective," Working Papers 1989-006, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Gamini Premaratne, 2005. "A Test for Symmetry with Leptokurtic Financial Data," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 3(2), pages 169-187.
- Stephen J. Taylor, 2007. "Introduction to Asset Price Dynamics, Volatility, and Prediction," Introductory Chapters,in: Asset Price Dynamics, Volatility, and Prediction Princeton University Press.
- Shiqing Ling & Michael McAleer, 2010. "A general asymptotic theory for time-series models," Statistica Neerlandica, Netherlands Society for Statistics and Operations Research, vol. 64(1), pages 97-111.
- Shiqing Ling & Michael McAleer, 2009. "A General Asymptotic Theory for Time Series Models," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-670, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Francq, Christian & Roy, Roch & Zakoian, Jean-Michel, 2005. "Diagnostic Checking in ARMA Models With Uncorrelated Errors," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 100, pages 532-544, June.
- Boubacar Mainassara, Y. & Carbon, M. & Francq, C., 2012. "Computing and estimating information matrices of weak ARMA models," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 345-361.
- Boubacar Mainassara, Yacouba & Carbon, Michel & Francq, Christian, 2010. "Computing and estimating information matrices of weak arma models," MPRA Paper 27685, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Benoit Mandelbrot, 2015. "The Variation of Certain Speculative Prices," World Scientific Book Chapters,in: THE WORLD SCIENTIFIC HANDBOOK OF FUTURES MARKETS, chapter 3, pages 39-78 World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Einmahl, John H. J. & Li, Jun & Liu, Regina Y., 2009. "Thresholding Events of Extreme in Simultaneous Monitoring of Multiple Risks," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 104(487), pages 982-992. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:crs:wpaper:2011-30. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sri Srikandan)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.