Does Entry Improve Welfare ? A General Equilibrium Approach of Competition Policy
We consider a general equilibrium model under imperfect competition. Firms have constantreturns, they are price taker in the input market and compete à la Cournot in theproduct market. We assume a representative consumer exists. We show that an increase inthe number of firms of a given market does not always improve welfare, challenging thecommon idea according to which mergers with no cost synergy are not desirable for theconsumer.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 01 41 17 60 81
Web page: http://www.crest.fr
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Olivier Blanchard & Francesco Giavazzi, 2001.
"Macroeconomic Effects of Regulation and Deregulation in Goods and Labor Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
8120, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Olivier Blanchard & Francesco Giavazzi, 2003. "Macroeconomic Effects Of Regulation And Deregulation In Goods And Labor Markets," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 118(3), pages 879-907, August.
- Olivier Blanchard & Francesco Giavazzi, . "Macroeconomic effects of regulation and deregulation in goods and labor markets," Working Papers 187, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Blanchard, Olivier J & Giavazzi, Francesco, 2001. "Macroeconomic Effects of Regulation and Deregulation in Goods and Labour Markets," CEPR Discussion Papers 2713, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521816632 is not listed on IDEAS
- Victor Ginsburgh & Michiel Keyzer, 2002.
"The Structure of Applied General Equilibrium Models,"
MIT Press Books,
The MIT Press,
edition 1, volume 1, number 0262571579, June.
- Victor Ginsburgh & Michiel Keyzer, 2002. "The structure of applied general equilibrium models," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/3313, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Victor Ginsburgh & Michiel Keyzer, 1997. "The structure of applied general equilibrium models," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/1653, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Stephen Spear, .
"The Electricity Market Game,"
GSIA Working Papers
2003-E17, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- J. Peter Neary, 2003.
"Competitive versus Comparative Advantage,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(4), pages 457-470, 04.
- repec:dgr:uvatin:19980092 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521016919 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bertrand Crettez & Marie-Cécile Fagart, 2005. "A Note on The Pareto Efficiency of General Oligopolistic Equilibria," Working Papers 2005-05, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:crs:wpaper:2005-08. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Florian Sallaberry)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.