Domestic Welfare Effects Of The Entry Of A Foreign Firm
The entry of a foreign firm has two counterbalancing effects on domestic social welfare. As the competition level in the domestic market increases by the entry, domestic incumbent firms' outputs and profits decrease. On the other hand, the price goes down and thus consumers' surplus increases. Therefore, the effect of the entry of a foreign firm on domestic social welfare is determined by the relative size of these two opposite effects. By investigating this trade-off, we identify domestic market characteristics and types of foreign entrant that are likely to affect domestic social welfare positively. Our main findings can be summarized as follows. First, a foreign firm's entry is less(more) likely to improve domestic social welfare as the pre-entry overall efficiency level of domestic market is higher(lower). Second, the foreign entrant should be more efficient than domestic firms. Otherwise, domestic social welfare decreases.
Volume (Year): 37 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.jed.or.kr/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- N. Gregory Mankiw & Michael D. Whinston, 1986. "Free Entry and Social Inefficiency," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 17(1), pages 48-58, Spring.
- Bertrand Crettez & Marie-Cécile Fagart, 2005.
"Does Entry Improve Welfare ? A General Equilibrium Approach of Competition Policy,"
2005-08, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Bertrand Crettez & Marie-Cécile Fagart, 2009. "Does entry improve welfare? A general equilibrium approach to competition policy," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 98(2), pages 97-118, November.
- Bertrand Crettez & Marie-Cécile Fagart, 2008. "Does entry improve welfare? A general equilibrium approach to competition policy," EconomiX Working Papers 2008-14, University of Paris West - Nanterre la Défense, EconomiX.
- C.C. von Weizsaker, 1980. "A Welfare Analysis of Barriers to Entry," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 11(2), pages 399-420, Autumn.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jed:journl:v:37:y:2012:i:2:p:35-57. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Changhui Kang)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.