Public goods and the hold-up problem under asymmetric information
An agent can make an observable but non-contractible investment. A principal then offers to collaborate with the agent to provide a public good. Private information of the agent about his valuation may either decrease or increase his investment incentives, depending on whether he learns his type before or after the investment stage.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Patrick Gonz�lez, 2004.
"Investment and Screening Under Asymmetric Endogenous Information,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 35(3), pages 502-519, Autumn.
- Gonzalez, Patrick, 2002. "Investment and Screening under Asymmetric Endogenous Information," Cahiers de recherche 0201, GREEN.
- Gonz�lez, Patrick, 2002. "Investment and Screening under Asymmetric Endogenous Information," Cahiers de recherche 0204, Université Laval - Département d'économique.
- Maija Halonen-Akatwijuka & Evagelos Pafilis, 2009. "Reputation and Ownership of Public Goods," The Centre for Market and Public Organisation 09/211, Department of Economics, University of Bristol, UK.
- repec:oup:qjecon:v:116:y:2001:i:4:p:1343-1372 is not listed on IDEAS
- Schmitz, Patrick W, 2007.
"Incomplete Contracts, the Hold-Up Problem and Asymmetric Information,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6322, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Schmitz, Patrick W., 2008. "Incomplete contracts, the hold-up problem, and asymmetric information," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 99(1), pages 119-122, April.
- Ohlendorf, Susanne & Schmitz, Patrick, 2009.
"Signaling an Outside Option,"
Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems
281, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
- Hart, Oliver, 1995. "Firms, Contracts, and Financial Structure," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198288817, July.
- Goldlücke, Susanne & Schmitz, Patrick W., 2014.
"Investments as signals of outside options,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 150(C), pages 683-708.
- Maija Halonen, 2010.
"Nature of human capital, technology and ownership of public goods,"
The Centre for Market and Public Organisation
10/243, Department of Economics, University of Bristol, UK.
- Halonen-Akatwijuka, Maija, 2012. "Nature of human capital, technology and ownership of public goods," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 96(11), pages 939-945.
- Besley, Timothy J. & Ghatak, Maitreesh, 2001. "Government versus Private Ownership of Public Goods," CEPR Discussion Papers 2725, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Marco Francesconi & Abhinay Muthoo, 2011.
"Control Rights In Complex Partnerships,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
European Economic Association, vol. 9(3), pages 551-589, 06.
- Francesconi, Marco & Muthoo, Abhinay, 2010. "Control Rights in Complex Partnerships," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 933, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- F. Gul, 2000.
"Unobservable Investment and the Hold-Up Problem,"
Princeton Economic Theory Papers
00s10, Economics Department, Princeton University.
- Jean Tirole, 1985.
"Procurement and Renegotiation,"
362, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- repec:oup:qjecon:v:112:y:1997:i:4:p:1127-61 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:oup:restud:v:66:y:1999:i:1:p:115-38 is not listed on IDEAS
- Schmitz, Patrick W, 2005.
"Information Gathering, Transaction Costs and the Property Rights Approach,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5417, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Patrick W. Schmitz, 2006. "Information Gathering, Transaction Costs, and the Property Rights Approach," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 96(1), pages 422-434, March.
- repec:tpr:qjecon:v:116:y:2001:i:4:p:1343-1372 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:9065. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.