Who Shrunk China? Puzzles in the Measurement of Real GDP
The latest World Bank estimates of real GDP per capita for China are significantly lower than previous ones. We review possible sources of this puzzle and conclude that it reflects a combination of factors, including substitution bias in consumption, reliance on urban prices which we estimate are higher than rural ones, and the use of an expenditure-weighted rather than an output-weighted measure of GDP. Taking all these together, we estimate that real per-capita GDP in China was 50% higher relative to the U.S. in 2005 than the World Bank estimates.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.|
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Balk,Bert M., 2008. "Price and Quantity Index Numbers," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521889070, October.
- Barnett, William A. & Erwin Diewert, W. & Zellner, Arnold, 2011.
"Introduction to measurement with theory,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 161(1), pages 1-5, March.
- William Barnett & W. Erwin Diewert & Arnold Zellner, 2009. "Introduction to Measurement with Theory," WORKING PAPERS SERIES IN THEORETICAL AND APPLIED ECONOMICS 200906, University of Kansas, Department of Economics, revised Apr 2009.
- Barnett, William A. & Diewert, W. Erwin & Zellner, Arnold, 2009. "Introduction to Measurement with Theory," MPRA Paper 14868, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Diewert, W. E. & Wales, T. J., 1988. "A normalized quadratic semiflexible functional form," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 327-342, March.
- James Banks & Richard Blundell & Arthur Lewbel, 1997. "Quadratic Engel Curves And Consumer Demand," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 79(4), pages 527-539, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:8592. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.