Macroeconomic Equilibrium and Reform in a Transitional Economy
We build a general equilibrium macroeconomic model of a transitional economy to reflect five stylized facts. Among these are that central planning has left a legacy of highly concentrated industry and a residue of price controls and rationing. An `almost Classical' dichotomy obtains in the model: monetary expansion leaves output and unemployment unchanged (despite the existence of unemployment), though leisure time declines. The economy displays a high degree of complementarity between the state-controlled sector and the private sector, however, giving rise to multiplier effects. We analyse the effects of price liberalization and privatization in this framework.
|Date of creation:||Jan 1993|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.|
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Landesmann, Michael & Székely, Istvan P., 1991. "Industrial Restructuring and the Reorientation of Trade in Czechoslovakia, Hungary and Poland," CEPR Discussion Papers 546, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Weitzman, Martin L, 1982. "Increasing Returns and the Foundations of Unemployment Theory," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 92(368), pages 787-804, December.
- Blanchard, Olivier Jean & Kiyotaki, Nobuhiro, 1987. "Monopolistic Competition and the Effects of Aggregate Demand," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(4), pages 647-66, September.
- S Estrin & P Hare, 1992. "Firms in Transition: Modelling Enterprise Adjustment," CEP Discussion Papers dp0089, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Elhanan Helpman, 1987.
"Macroeconomic Effects of Price Controls: The Role of Market Structure,"
NBER Working Papers
2434, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Helpman, Elhanan, 1988. "Macroeconomic Effects of Price Controls: The Role of Market Structure," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 98(391), pages 340-54, June.
- Fender, J. & Laing, D., 1991. "The Transition from Central Planning : An Intertemporal Macroeconomic Model," Papers 1-91-2, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Bennett, John, 1994. "Queuing and the Price Level under Repressed Inflation," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 46(1), pages 68-82, January.
- Eduardo Borensztein & Dimitri G. Demekas & Jonathan D. Ostry, 1993. "An Empirical Analysis of the Output Declines in Three Eastern European Countries," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 40(1), pages 1-31, March.
- David Lipton & Jeffrey D. Sachs, 1990. "Creating a Market Economy in Eastern Europe: The Case of Poland," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 21(1), pages 75-148.
- Feltenstein, Andrew & Ha, Jiming, 1991. "Measurement of repressed inflation in China : The lack of coordination between monetary policy and price controls," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 279-294, October.
- Feltenstein, Andrew & Lebow, David & van Wijnbergen, Sweder, 1990. "Savings, Commodity Market Rationing, and the Real Rate of Interest in China," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 22(2), pages 234-52, May.
- Dixon, Huw David, 1991. "Macroeconomic policy in a large unionised economy," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 35(7), pages 1427-1448, October.
- Weitzman, Martin L, 1991. "Price Distortion and Shortage Deformation, or What Happened to the Soap?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(3), pages 401-14, June.
- Dixon, Huw David, 1993.
"Macroeconomic Equilibrium and Reform in a Transitional Economy,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
758, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bennett, John & Dixon, Huw David, 1995. "Macroeconomic equilibrium and reform in a transitional economy," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 39(8), pages 1465-1485, October.
- Bennett, John & Boycko, Maxim, 1995. "Savings and Stabilization Policy in a Pre-Post-Socialist Economy," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 27(3), pages 907-19, August.
- Paul G. Hare, 1991. "Hungary: In Transition to a Market Economy," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 5(4), pages 195-201, Fall.
- Feltenstein, Andrew & Farhadian, Ziba, 1987. "Fiscal Policy, Monetary Targets, and the Price Level in a Centrally Planned Economy: An Application to the Case of China," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 19(2), pages 137-56, May.
- Kemp, Murray C. & Long, Ngo Van, 1990. "The relaxation of price controls, the general price level, and welfare," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 221-246.
- Stahl, Dale II & Alexeev, Michael, 1985. "The influence of black markets on a queue-rationed centrally planned economy," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 234-250, August.
- Oliver Hart, 1982. "A Model of Imperfect Competition with Keynesian Features," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 97(1), pages 109-138.
- Doyle, Christopher, 1993. "The Distributional Consequences of Russia's Transition," CEPR Discussion Papers 839, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Osband, Kent, 1992. "Economic Crisis in a Shortage Economy," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(4), pages 673-90, August.
- Sah, Raaj Kumar, 1987. "Queues, Rations, and Market: Comparisons of Outcomes for the Poor and the Rich," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(1), pages 69-77, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:758. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.