Strategic R&D Location by Multinational Firms: Spillovers, Technology Sourcing and Competition
We analyse strategic interaction in R&D internationalization decisions by two multinational firms competing both abroad and in their home markets and examine different incentives for foreign R&D faced by technology leaders and technology laggards. The model takes into account the impact of local inter-firm R&D spillovers, (non-costless) international intra-firm transfer of knowledge, and the notion that internal R&D increases the effectiveness of incoming spillovers. Greater efficiency of intra-firm transfers and greater spillovers increases the attractiveness of home R&D to the technology leader. The lagging firm in contrast increases the share of foreign R&D as overseas technology sourcing becomes more effective. Greater product market competition encourages the leading firm to engage in foreign R&D to capture a larger share of profits on the foreign market, while laggards concentrate more R&D at home to defend their home market position. The country with a stricter intellectual property rights regime attracts a larger share of R&D by both leader and laggard.
|Date of creation:||May 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kumar, Nagesh, 1995.
"Intellectual Property Protection, Market Orientation and Location of Overseas R&D Activities by Multinational Enterprises,"
UNU-INTECH Discussion Paper Series
01, United Nations University - INTECH.
- Kumar, Nagesh, 1996. "Intellectual property protection, market orientation and location of overseas R&D activities by multinational enterprises," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 673-688, April.
- Desruelle, D. & Cadot, O., 1992.
"R&D : Woh Does the R , Who Does the D,"
Cahiers de recherche
9230, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Dermot Leahy & J Peter Neary, 2004.
"Absorptive Capacity, R&D Spillovers, and Public Policy,"
200418, School Of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Leahy, Dermot & Neary, J. Peter, 2007. "Absorptive capacity, R&D spillovers, and public policy," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 1089-1108, October.
- Leahy, Dermot & Neary, J Peter, 2004. "Absorptive Capacity, R&D Spillovers and Public Policy," CEPR Discussion Papers 4171, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- David Pérez-Castrillo & Bruno Cassiman & Reinhilde Veugelers, 2000.
"Endogeneizing know-how flows through the nature of R&D investments,"
UFAE and IAE Working Papers
464.00, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Cassiman, Bruno & Perez-Castrillo, David & Veugelers, Reinhilde, 2002. "Endogenizing know-how flows through the nature of R&D investments," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 20(6), pages 775-799, June.
- Bruno Cassiman & David Pérez Castrillo & Reinhilde Veugelers, 2000. "Endogeneizing know-how flows through the nature of R&D investments," Economics Working Papers 512, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Mar 2001.
- Cassiman, Bruno & Pérez-Castrillo, J David & Veugelers, Reinhilde, 2000. "Endogenizing Know-How Flows Through the Nature of R&D Investments," CEPR Discussion Papers 2622, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Cassiman, Bruno & Pérez-Castrillo, David, 2000. "Endogenizing know-how flows through the nature of R&D investments," IESE Research Papers D/428, IESE Business School.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521873680 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bas, Christian Le & Sierra, Christophe, 2002. "'Location versus home country advantages' in R&D activities: some further results on multinationals' locational strategies," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 589-609, May.
- Luís M. B. Cabral, 2003. "R&D Competition when firms Choose Variance," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(1), pages 139-150, 03.
- Bjorvatn, K. & Eckel, C., 2001.
"Technology Sourcing and Strategic Foreign Direct Investment,"
28/2001, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration-.
- Kjetil Bjorvatn & Carsten Eckel, 2006. "Technology Sourcing and Strategic Foreign Direct Investment," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(4), pages 600-614, 09.
- Bjorvatn, Kjetil & Eckel, Carsten, 2006. "Technology sourcing and strategic foreign direct investment," Munich Reprints in Economics 20269, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Odagiri, Hiroyuki & Yasuda, Hideto, 1996. "The determinants of overseas R&D by Japanese firms: an empirical study at the industry and company levels," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(7), pages 1059-1079, October.
- Georges Siotis, 1999.
"Foreign Direct Investment Strategies and Firms' Capabilities,"
Journal of Economics & Management Strategy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 8(2), pages 251-270, 06.
- Georges SIOTIS, 1996. "Foreign Direct Investment Strategies and Firms' Capabilities," Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du Département d'Econométrie et d'Economie politique (DEEP) 9626, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Sanna-Randaccio, Francesca & Veugelers, Reinhilde, 2002. "Multinational Knowledge Spillovers with Centralized versus Decentralized R&D: A Game Theoretic Approach," CEPR Discussion Papers 3151, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lee Branstetter, 2000. "Is Foreign Direct Investment a Channel of Knowledge Spillovers? Evidence from Japan's FDI in the United States," NBER Working Papers 8015, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Audretsch, David B & Feldman, Maryann P, 1996. "R&D Spillovers and the Geography of Innovation and Production," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(3), pages 630-40, June.
- Belderbos, Rene, 2001. "Overseas innovations by Japanese firms: an analysis of patent and subsidiary data," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 313-332, February.
- Walter Kuemmerle, 1999. "The Drivers of Foreign Direct Investment into Research and Development: An Empirical Investigation," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 30(1), pages 1-24, March.
- Cohen, Wesley M & Levinthal, Daniel A, 1989. "Innovation and Learning: The Two Faces of R&D," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 99(397), pages 569-96, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:5060. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.