Intellectual property protection, market orientation and location of overseas R&D activities by multinational enterprises
This paper develops an analytical framework to explain the determinants of location of overseas R&D by MNEs in terms of the nature and extent of FDI and host country resources and policy regimes. Empirical findings for U.S. MNEs suggest that MNEs prefer to locate their R&D activities in countries that are able to offer them, among other particulars, larger markets, technological resources and infrastructure. Host market-oriented affiliates are more likely to have R&D units than the export-oriented ones, especially in developing countries. The relative strength of patent regime appears to affect the direction rather than the magnitude of R&D investments made in a country.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kumar, Nagesh, 1991. "Mode of rivalry and comparative behaviour of multinational and local enterprises : The case of Indian manufacturing," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 381-392, April.
- Edwin Mansfield & David Teece & Anthony Romeo, 2008.
"Overseas Research and Development by US-Based Firms,"
World Scientific Book Chapters,in: The Transfer And Licensing Of Know-How And Intellectual Property Understanding the Multinational Enterprise in the Modern World, chapter 12, pages 297-306
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Mansfield, Edwin & Teece, David & Romeo, Anthony, 1979. "Overseas Research and Development by US-Based Firms," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 46(182), pages 187-196, May.
- Hewitt, Gary, 1980. "Research and Development Performed Abroad by U.S. Manufacturing Multinationals," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(2), pages 308-327.
- Veugelers, Reinhilde & Houte, Peter Vanden, 1990. "Domestic R&D in the presence of multinational enterprises," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 1-15.
- Hakanson, Lars & Nobel, Robert, 1993. "Foreign research and development in Swedish multinationals," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 22(5-6), pages 373-396, November.
- Hakanson, Lars & Nobel, Robert, 1993. "Determinants of foreign R&D in Swedish multinationals," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 22(5-6), pages 397-411, November.
- Michael Ferrantino, 1993. "The effect of intellectual property rights on international trade and investment," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 129(2), pages 300-331, June.
- Hirschey, Robert C & Caves, Richard E, 1981. "Research and Transfer of Technology by Multinational Enterprises," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 43(2), pages 115-130, May.
- Pari Patel & Keith Pavitt, 1991. "Large Firms in the Production of the World’s Technology: An Important Case of “Non-Globalisation”," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 22(1), pages 1-21, March.
- Lall, Sanjaya, 1979. "The International Allocation of Research Activity by US Multinationals," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 41(4), pages 313-331, November.
- Zejan, Mario C, 1990. " R&D Activities in Affiliates of Swedish Multinational Enterprises," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 92(3), pages 487-500.
- Dunning, John H., 1994. "Multinational enterprises and the globalization of innovatory capacity," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 67-88, January.
- Nagesh Kumar, 1994. "Determinants of Export Orientation of Foreign Production by U.S. Multinationals: An Inter-Country Analysis," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 25(1), pages 141-156, March. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:wdevel:v:24:y:1996:i:4:p:673-688. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.