Asymmetric Information and Monetary Policy in Common Currency Areas
In a Common Currency Area (CCA) the Common Central Bank sets a uniform rate of inflation across countries, taking into account the area’s economic conditions. Supposing that countries in recession favor a more expansionary policy than countries in expansion, a conflict of interest between members arises when national business cycles are not fully synchronized. If governments of member countries have an informational advantage over the state of their domestic economy, such conflict may create an adverse selection problem: national authorities overemphasize their shocks, in order to shape the common policy towards their needs. This creates an inefficiency over and above the one-policy-fits-all cost discussed in the optimal currency area literature. In order to minimize this extra-burden of asymmetric information, monetary policy must over-react to large symmetric shocks and under-react to small asymmetric ones. The result is sub-optimal volatility of inflation.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- BUCOVETSKY, Sam & MARCHAND, Maurice & PESTIEAU, Pierre, 1997.
"Tax competition and revelation of preferences for public expenditure,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1997003, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Bucovetsky, S. & Marchand, M. & Pestieau, P., 1998. "Tax Competition and Revelation of Preferences for Public Expenditure," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 367-390, November.
- CREMER, Helmuth & MARCHAND, Maurice & PESTIEAU, Pierre, 1994.
"Interregional Reditribution through Tax Surcharge,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1994069, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Helmuth Cremer & Maurice Marchand & Pierre Pestieau, 1996. "Interregional redistribution through tax surcharge," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 3(2), pages 157-173, May.
- Cremer, H. & Marchand, M. & Pestieau, P., . "Interregional redistribution through tax surcharge," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1218, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Lockwood, Ben, 1997.
9703, Exeter University, Department of Economics.
- Massimo Bordignon & Paolo Manasse & Guido Tabellini, 2001.
"Optimal Regional Redistribution under Asymmetric Information,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 91(3), pages 709-723, June.
- Massimo Bordignon & Paolo Manasse & Guido Tabellini, . "Optimal Regional Redistribution Under Asymmetric Information," Working Papers 93, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Bordignon, Massimo & Manasse, Paolo & Tabellini, Guido, 1996. "Optimal Regional Redistribution Under Asymmetric Information," CEPR Discussion Papers 1437, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Andrew Atkeson & Robert E Lucas, 2010.
"On Efficient Distribution with Private Information,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
2179, David K. Levine.
- Atkeson, Andrew & Lucas, Robert E, Jr, 1992. "On Efficient Distribution with Private Information," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 59(3), pages 427-53, July.
- Calvo, Guillermo A & Guidotti, Pablo E, 1993. "On the Flexibility of Monetary Policy: The Case of the Optimal Inflation Tax," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 60(3), pages 667-87, July.
- Drew Fudenberg & Jean Tirole, 1991. "Game Theory," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262061414, June.
- Bottazzi, Laura & Manasse, Paolo, 2002. "Credibility and Seigniorage in a Common Currency Area," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 34(4), pages 1034-46, November.
- Feenstra, Robert C., 1986. "Functional equivalence between liquidity costs and the utility of money," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 271-291, March.
- Dixit, Avinash, 2000. "A Repeated Game Model of Monetary Union," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 110(466), pages 759-80, October.
- repec:nsr:niesrd:25 is not listed on IDEAS
- Horst Raff & John Wilson, 1997. "Income Redistribution with Well-Informed Local Governments," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 4(4), pages 407-427, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:3484. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.