The identification of reporting accuracies from mirror data
Mirror data are observations of bilateral variables such as trade from one country to another, reported by both countries. The efficient estimation of a bilateral variable from its mirror data, for example when compiling consistent international trade statistics, requires information about the accuracy of the reporters. This paper discusses the simultaneous estimation of the accuracy of multiple reporters, from all mirror data. This requires a model with an identification restriction. Two models are presented, each with the same simple kind of identifying restriction. The inadequate treatment of this restriction in the literature might be an explanation for the limited presence of integrated international statistics. Published in the Journal of Economics and Statistics, vol 234/1 .
|Date of creation:||Aug 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (070) 338 33 80
Fax: (070) 338 33 50
Web page: http://www.cpb.nl/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gaulier, Guillaume & Zignago, Soledad, 2004. "Notes on BACI (analytical database of international trade). 1989-2002 version," MPRA Paper 32401, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gehlhar, Mark, 1996. "Reconciling Bilateral Trade Data for Use in GTAP," GTAP Technical Papers 313, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University.
- Nico van Leeuwen & Arjan Lejour, 2006. "Bilateral Services Trade Data and the GTAP database," CPB Memorandum 160, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- James Raymer & Jonathan J. Forster & Peter W.F Smith & Jakub Bijak & Arkadiusz Wiśniowski, 2012. "Integrated Modelling of European Migration: Background, specification and results," Norface Discussion Paper Series 2012004, Norface Research Programme on Migration, Department of Economics, University College London.
- Guillaume Gaulier & Soledad Zignago, 2010. "BACI: International Trade Database at the Product-Level. The 1994-2007 Version," Working Papers 2010-23, CEPII research center.
- Arie ten Cate, 2007. "Modelling the reporting discrepancies in bilateral data," CPB Memorandum 179, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpb:discus:216. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.