Financing infrastructure under budget constraints
In this paper we consider the problem of financing infrastructure when the regulator faces a budget constraint. The optimal budget-constrained mechanism satisfies four properties. The first property is bunching at the top, that is the more efficient firms produce the same quantity irrespective of their costs. The second property is separability of less efficient firms. The third property is that the mechanism is a third best one, that is, the optimal budget constrained output is strictly lower than the second best output for any given type. Finally, if the budget constraint is too strong, then we have full bunching.
|Date of creation:||00 May 2003|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Voie du Roman Pays 34, 1348 Louvain-la-Neuve (Belgium)|
Fax: +32 10474304
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/core
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Laffont, Jean-Jacques & Robert, Jacques, 1996. "Optimal auction with financially constrained buyers," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 181-186, August.
- Che, Y.K. & Gale, I.,, 1994.
"The Optimal Mechanism for Selling to Budget-Constrained Consumers,"
9415, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Che, Y.K. & Gale, I., 1995. "The Optimal Mechanism for Selling to Budget-Constrained Consumers," Working papers 9415r, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Che, Y.K. & Gale, I., 1996. "The Optimal Mechanism for Selling to Budget-Constrained Consumers," Working papers 9609, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Axel Gautier, 2004.
"Regulation under Financial Constraints,"
Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 75(4), pages 645-656, December.
- GAUTIER, Axel, "undated". "Regulation under financial constraints," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1815, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Axel Gautier, 2002. "Regulation under Financial Constraints," Bonn Econ Discussion Papers bgse16_2002, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Guesnerie, Roger & Laffont, Jean-Jacques, 1984. "A complete solution to a class of principal-agent problems with an application to the control of a self-managed firm," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 329-369, December.
- Paulo Klinger Monteiro & Frank H. Page Jr., 1996.
"Optimal Selling Mechanisms for Multiproduct Monopolists: Incentive Compatibility in the Presence of Budget Constraints,"
- Monteiro, Paulo K. & Page Jr., Frank H., 1998. "Optimal selling mechanisms for multiproduct monopolists: incentive compatibility in the presence of budget constraints," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 473-502, November.
- KLINGER MONTEIRO , Paulo & PAGE, Frank H. Jr., 1997. "Optimal selling mechanisms for multiproduct monopolists : incentive compatibility in the presence of budget constraints," CORE Discussion Papers 1997011, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cor:louvco:2003037. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alain GILLIS)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.