Optimal selling mechanisms for multiproduct monopolists: incentive compatibility in the presence of budget constraints
We demonstrate the existence of an optimal, individually rational, and incentive compatible selling mechanism for a multiproduct monopolist facing a market populated by consumers with budget constraints. Our main contribution is to show via examples and our existence result that, in general, when facing consumers with budget constraints the monopolist is able to maximize profits over the set of individually rational and incentive compatible selling mechanisms only if other goods are available and only if the monopolist's goods are nonessential relative to other goods.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- McAfee, R. Preston & McMillan, John, 1988. "Multidimensional incentive compatibility and mechanism design," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 335-354, December.
- Leonard J. Mirman & David Sibley, 1980. "Optimal Nonlinear Prices for Multiproduct Monopolies," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 11(2), pages 659-670, Autumn.
- Paulo Klinger Monteiro, 1994.
"A New Proof Of The Existence Of Equilibrium In Incomplete Markets Economies,"
GE, Growth, Math methods
- Monteiro, Paulo Klinger, 1996. "A new proof of the existence of equilibrium in incomplete market economies," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 85-101.
- Artstein, Zvi, 1979. "A note on fatou's lemma in several dimensions," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 277-282, December.
- Laffont, Jean-Jacques & Robert, Jacques, 1996. "Optimal auction with financially constrained buyers," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 181-186, August.
- Spulber Daniel F., 1993. "Monopoly Pricing," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 222-234, February.
- Wilson, Robert, 1996. "Nonlinear pricing and mechanism design," Handbook of Computational Economics, in: H. M. Amman & D. A. Kendrick & J. Rust (ed.), Handbook of Computational Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 5, pages 253-293 Elsevier.
- Eric Maskin & John Riley, 1984. "Monopoly with Incomplete Information," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 15(2), pages 171-196, Summer.
- Armstrong, Mark, 1996. "Multiproduct Nonlinear Pricing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(1), pages 51-75, January.
- Page, Frank H, Jr, 1992. "Mechanism Design for General Screening Problems with Moral Hazard," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 2(2), pages 265-81, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:mateco:v:30:y:1998:i:4:p:473-502. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.