On The Dynamic Incentive of Price-Quality Differentiation By A Monopolist Firm
When consumers are theterogeneous in their preferences about the quality of a product, a monopolist firm can take advantage of this heterogeneity, thereby, increase the profit by offering different price-quality pairs. This business practice is called the second degree price discrimination or non-linear pricing. This paper extends the static non-linear pricing problem into the dynamic one where the monopolist firm cannot precommit in advance. The main result is that the dynamic non-linear pricing outcome is the same as the static non-linear pricing outcome so that additional opportunities to transact neither benefits nor hurts the monopolist firm. [L12]
Volume (Year): 14 (2000)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RIEJ20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RIEJ20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mussa, Michael & Rosen, Sherwin, 1978. "Monopoly and product quality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 301-317, August.
- Wilson, Robert, 1997. "Nonlinear Pricing," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195115826, March.
- Matthews, Steven & Moore, John, 1987.
"Monopoly Provision of Quality and Warranties: An Exploration in the Theory of Multidimensional Screening,"
Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 441-67, March.
- Steven Matthews & John Moore, 1985. "Monopoly Provision of Quality and Warranties: An Exploration in the Theory of Multidimensional Screening," Discussion Papers 661, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Armstrong, Mark, 1996. "Multiproduct Nonlinear Pricing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(1), pages 51-75, January.
- Spence, A Michael, 1980. "Multi-Product Quantity-Dependent Prices and Profitability Constraints," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(5), pages 821-41, October.
- Roberts, Kevin W S, 1979. "Welfare Considerations of Nonlinear Pricing," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 89(353), pages 66-83, March.
- Wilson, Robert, 1991. "Multiproduct Tariffs," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 3(1), pages 5-26, March.
- McAfee, R. Preston & McMillan, John, 1988. "Multidimensional incentive compatibility and mechanism design," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 335-354, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:intecj:v:14:y:2000:i:1:p:33-45. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.