Labels as Nudges? An Experimental Study of Car Eco-labels
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Cristiano Codagnone & Giuseppe Alessandro Veltri & Francesco Bogliacino & Francisco Lupiáñez-Villanueva & George Gaskell & Andriy Ivchenko & Pietro Ortoleva & Francesco Mureddu, 2016. "Labels as nudges? An experimental study of car eco-labels," Economia Politica: Journal of Analytical and Institutional Economics, Springer;Fondazione Edison, vol. 33(3), pages 403-432, December.
- Codagnone, Cristiano & Veltri, Giuseppe Alessandro & Bogliacino, Francesco & Lupiáñez-Villanueva, Francisco & Gaskell, George & Ivchenko, Andriy & Ortoleva, Pietro & Mureddu, Francesco, 2016. "Labels as nudges? An experimental study of car eco-labels," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 68683, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
References listed on IDEAS
- Thøgersen, John & Noblet, Caroline, 2012. "Does green consumerism increase the acceptance of wind power?," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 51(C), pages 854-862.
- Camerer, Colin F & Hogarth, Robin M, 1999.
"The Effects of Financial Incentives in Experiments: A Review and Capital-Labor-Production Framework,"
Journal of Risk and Uncertainty,
Springer, vol. 19(1-3), pages 7-42, December.
- Camerer, Colin F. & Hogarth, Robin M., 1999. "The Effects of Financial Incentives in Experiments: A Review and Capital-Labor-Production Framework," Working Papers 1059, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Bicchieri, Cristina & Erte, Xiao, 2007. "Do the right thing: But only if others do so," MPRA Paper 4609, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Cass R. Sunstein & Lucia A. Reisch, 2013. "Green by Default," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 66(3), pages 398-402, August.
- Amos Tversky & Daniel Kahneman, 1991. "Loss Aversion in Riskless Choice: A Reference-Dependent Model," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 106(4), pages 1039-1061.
- Delmas, Magali A. & Grant, Laura E., 2008. "Eco-Labeling Strategies: The Eco-Premium Puzzle In The Wine Industry," Working Papers 37325, American Association of Wine Economists.
- Martin Achtnicht, 2012.
"German car buyers’ willingness to pay to reduce CO 2 emissions,"
Springer, vol. 113(3), pages 679-697, August.
- Achtnicht, Martin, 2009. "German car buyers' willingness to pay to reduce CO2 emissions," ZEW Discussion Papers 09-058, ZEW - Leibniz Centre for European Economic Research.
- Achtnicht, Martin, 2012. "German car buyers' willingness to pay to reduce CO2 emissions," ZEW Discussion Papers 09-058 [rev.], ZEW - Leibniz Centre for European Economic Research.
- Ted Gayer & W. Viscusi, 2013. "Overriding consumer preferences with energy regulations," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 43(3), pages 248-264, June.
- Richard H. Thaler, 2008. "Mental Accounting and Consumer Choice," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 27(1), pages 15-25, 01-02.
- Jeffrey R. Blend & Eileen O. van Ravenswaay, 1999. "Measuring Consumer Demand for Ecolabeled Apples," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(5), pages 1072-1077.
- Riccardo Rebonato, 2014. "A Critical Assessment of Libertarian Paternalism," Journal of Consumer Policy, Springer, vol. 37(3), pages 357-396, September.
- María Bernedo & Paul Ferraro & Michael Price, 2014. "The Persistent Impacts of Norm-Based Messaging and Their Implications for Water Conservation," Journal of Consumer Policy, Springer, vol. 37(3), pages 437-452, September.
- Teisl, Mario F. & Rubin, Jonathan & Noblet, Caroline L., 2008. "Non-dirty dancing? Interactions between eco-labels and consumers," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 140-159, April.
- Douadia Bougherara & Gilles Grolleau & Luc Thiébaut, 2005.
"Can Labelling Policies Do More Harm Than Good? An Analysis Applied to Environmental Labelling Schemes,"
European Journal of Law and Economics,
Springer, vol. 19(1), pages 5-16, January.
- Douadia Bougherara & Gilles Grolleau & Luc Thiébaut, 2005. "Can labelling policies do more harm than good ? An analysis applied to environmental labelling schemes," Post-Print hal-01939936, HAL.
- Choo, Sangho & Mokhtarian, Patricia L., 2004.
"What type of vehicle do people drive? The role of attitude and lifestyle in influencing vehicle type choice,"
Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice,
Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 201-222, March.
- Choo, Sangho & Mokhtarian, Patricia L., 2004. "What type of vehicle do people drive? The role of attitude and lifestyle in influencing vehicle type choice," University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers qt7vg1057g, University of California Transportation Center.
- Anderson, C Dennis & Claxton, John D, 1982. "Barriers to Consumer Choice of Energy Efficient Products," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 9(2), pages 163-170, September.
- Cass R. Sunstein & Richard H. Thaler, 2003. "Libertarian paternalism is not an oxymoron," Conference Series ; [Proceedings], Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, vol. 48(Jun).
- Rachel Croson & Nicolas Treich, 2014. "Behavioral Environmental Economics: Promises and Challenges," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 58(3), pages 335-351, July.
- René van Bavel & Benedikt Herrmann & Gabriele Esposito & Antonios Proestakis, 2013. "Applying Behavioural Science to EU Policy-Making," JRC Working Papers JRC83284, Joint Research Centre (Seville site).
- Kahneman, Daniel & Tversky, Amos, 1979.
"Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(2), pages 263-291, March.
- Amos Tversky & Daniel Kahneman, 1979. "Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk," Levine's Working Paper Archive 7656, David K. Levine.
- Hilton, Denis & Charalambides, Laetitia & Demarque, Christophe & Waroquier, Laurent & Raux, Charles, 2014.
"A tax can nudge: The impact of an environmentally motivated bonus/malus fiscal system on transport preferences,"
Journal of Economic Psychology,
Elsevier, vol. 42(C), pages 17-27.
- Denis Hilton & Laetitia Charalambides & Christophe Demarque & Laurent Waroquier & Charles Raux, 2014. "A tax can nudge: The impact of an environmentally motivated bonus/malus fiscal system on transport preferences," Post-Print halshs-01153875, HAL.
- Gadenne, David & Sharma, Bishnu & Kerr, Don & Smith, Tim, 2011. "The influence of consumers' environmental beliefs and attitudes on energy saving behaviours," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(12), pages 7684-7694.
- Galarraga, Ibon & Ramos, Ana & Lucas, Josu & Labandeira, Xavier, 2014.
"The price of energy efficiency in the Spanish car market,"
Elsevier, vol. 36(C), pages 272-282.
- Ibon Galarraga & Ana Ramos & Josu Lucas, 2012. "The Price of Energy Efficiency in the Spanish Car Market," Working Papers 02-2013, Economics for Energy.
- Richard H. Thaler & Cass R. Sunstein, 2003. "Libertarian Paternalism," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(2), pages 175-179, May.
- Wanki Moon & Wojciech J. Florkowski & Bernhard Brückner & Ilona Schonhof, 2002. "Willingness to Pay for Environmental Practices: Implications for Eco-Labeling," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 78(1), pages 88-102.
- Vlaeminck, Pieter & Jiang, Ting & Vranken, Liesbet, 2014. "Food labeling and eco-friendly consumption: Experimental evidence from a Belgian supermarket," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 108(C), pages 180-190.
- Allcott, Hunt, 2011. "Social norms and energy conservation," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 95(9-10), pages 1082-1095, October.
- Momsen, Katharina & Stoerk, Thomas, 2014. "From intention to action: Can nudges help consumers to choose renewable energy?," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 74(C), pages 376-382.
- René van Bavel & Nuria Rodríguez-Priego & Ioannis Maghiros, 2015. "Seven Points to Remember when Conducting Behavioural Studies in Support of EU Policy-making," JRC Working Papers JRC96525, Joint Research Centre (Seville site).
- McNeill, Dennis L & Wilkie, William L, 1979. "Public Policy and Consumer Information: Impact of the New Energy Labels," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 6(1), pages 1-11, June.
- Eric Johnson & Suzanne Shu & Benedict Dellaert & Craig Fox & Daniel Goldstein & Gerald Häubl & Richard Larrick & John Payne & Ellen Peters & David Schkade & Brian Wansink & Elke Weber, 2012. "Beyond nudges: Tools of a choice architecture," Marketing Letters, Springer, vol. 23(2), pages 487-504, June.
- Fredrik Carlsson & Olof Johansson-Stenman, 2012. "Behavioral Economics and Environmental Policy," Annual Review of Resource Economics, Annual Reviews, vol. 4(1), pages 75-99, August.
- Hunt Allcott & Todd Rogers, 2014. "The Short-Run and Long-Run Effects of Behavioral Interventions: Experimental Evidence from Energy Conservation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 104(10), pages 3003-3037, October.
- Allcott, Hunt, 2011. "Social norms and energy conservation," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 95(9), pages 1082-1095.
- Kaenzig, Josef & Heinzle, Stefanie Lena & Wüstenhagen, Rolf, 2013. "Whatever the customer wants, the customer gets? Exploring the gap between consumer preferences and default electricity products in Germany," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 53(C), pages 311-322.
- Loureiro, Maria L. & McCluskey, Jill J. & Mittelhammer, Ronald C., 2001. "Assessing Consumer Preferences For Organic, Eco-Labeled, And Regular Apples," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 26(2), pages 1-13, December.
- Steffen Kallbekken & Håkon Sælen & Erlend Hermansen, 2013. "Bridging the Energy Efficiency Gap: A Field Experiment on Lifetime Energy Costs and Household Appliances," Journal of Consumer Policy, Springer, vol. 36(1), pages 1-16, March.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Charu Grover & Sangeeta Bansal & Adan L. Martinez-Cruz, "undated". "Influence of Social Network Effect and Incentive on Choice of Star Labeled Cars in India: A Latent Class Approach based on Choice Experiment," Centre for International Trade and Development, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi Discussion Papers 18-05, Centre for International Trade and Development, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, India.
- Y. Gómez & V. Martínez-Molés & J. Vila, 2016. "Spanish regulation for labeling of financial products: a behavioral-experimental analysis," Economia Politica: Journal of Analytical and Institutional Economics, Springer;Fondazione Edison, vol. 33(3), pages 355-378, December.
- Galarraga, Ibon & Kallbekken, Steffen & Silvestri, Alessandro, 2020. "Consumer purchases of energy-efficient cars: How different labelling schemes could affect consumer response to price changes," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 137(C).
- Aydin, Erdal & Correa, Santiago Bohórquez & Brounen, Dirk, 2019. "Energy performance certification and time on the market," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 98(C).
More about this item
Keywordseco-label; nudge; willingness to pay; fuel economy; experiments;
- C9 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Design of Experiments
- D3 - Microeconomics - - Distribution
- Q56 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Environment and Development; Environment and Trade; Sustainability; Environmental Accounts and Accounting; Environmental Equity; Population Growth
- Q58 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Environmental Economics: Government Policy
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-CBE-2016-04-04 (Cognitive & Behavioural Economics)
- NEP-DCM-2016-04-04 (Discrete Choice Models)
- NEP-ENE-2016-04-04 (Energy Economics)
- NEP-ENV-2016-04-04 (Environmental Economics)
- NEP-EXP-2016-04-04 (Experimental Economics)
- NEP-RES-2016-04-04 (Resource Economics)
- NEP-TRE-2016-04-04 (Transport Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:col:000178:014330. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Facultad de Ciencias Económicas Unal). General contact details of provider: .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.