Determinants Of Investment Flows Into Emerging Markets
The understanding of foreign investment flows is important for emerging market policy makers, since such flows make up a considerable part of the balance of payments, and since such flows tend to be very volatile. Sudden stops or reversals of investment flows have, indeed, played an important part in recent emerging market crises. This paper presents a study of emerging market investment flows and their determinants. Using first a relatively simple cross-country framework to study investment flows in the year 2000 and then a panel-data framework to study such flows for the time period 1980 to 1997, a number of variables emerge as significant in determining investment flows. In general, large open economies with a high growth rate attract more flows than small closed economies with a sluggish growth rate. In addition, the results suggest that sound fiscal policies together with moderate debt levels results in higher levels of foreign investment. The business cycle in the developed countries also has an impact on such flows.
|Date of creation:||31 Oct 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eduardo Levy Yeyati & Ugo Panizza & Ernesto H. Stein, 2003.
"The Cyclical Nature of North-South FDI Flows,"
Research Department Publications
4317, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Eduardo Levy Yeyati & Ugo Panizza & Ernesto H. Stein, 2003. "The Cyclical Nature of North-South FDI Flows," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 6502, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Eduardo Levy-Yeyati & Ugo Panizza & Ernesto Stein, 2002. "The Cyclical Nature of North-South FDI Flows," Business School Working Papers quince, Universidad Torcuato Di Tella.
- Claessens, Stijn & Dooley, Michael P & Warner, Andrew, 1995.
"Portfolio Capital Flows: Hot or Cold?,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 9(1), pages 153-74, January.
- Calvo, Guillermo A. & Vegh, Carlos A., 1999.
"Inflation stabilization and bop crises in developing countries,"
Handbook of Macroeconomics,
in: J. B. Taylor & M. Woodford (ed.), Handbook of Macroeconomics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 24, pages 1531-1614
- Guillermo A. Calvo & Carlos A. Vegh, 1999. "Inflation Stabilization and BOP Crises in Developing Countries," NBER Working Papers 6925, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rodríguez, Francisco & Rodrik, Dani, 1999.
"Trade Policy and Economic Growth: A Sceptic's Guide to the Cross-National Evidence,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2143, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Francisco Rodriguez & Dani Rodrik, 2001. "Trade Policy and Economic Growth: A Skeptic's Guide to the Cross-National Evidence," NBER Chapters, in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 2000, Volume 15, pages 261-338 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Francisco Rodriguez & Dani Rodrik, 1999. "Trade Policy and Economic Growth: a Skeptic's Guide to the Cross-National Evidence," Working Papers 9912, Economic Research Forum, revised Apr 1999.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Jeffrey D. Sachs & Andrew Warner, 1995.
"Economic Reform and the Process of Global Integration,"
Brookings Papers on Economic Activity,
Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 26(1, 25th A), pages 1-118.
- Jeffrey Sachs & Andrew Warner, 1995. "Economic Reform and the Progress of Global Integration," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1733, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Calvo, Guillermo & Leiderman, Leonardo, 1992. "Capital Inflows and Real Exchange Rate Appreciation in Latin America," MPRA Paper 13843, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Fernandez-Arias, Eduardo & DEC, 1994.
"The new wave of private capital inflows : push or pull?,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1312, The World Bank.
- Fernandez-Arias, Eduardo, 1996. "The new wave of private capital inflows: Push or pull?," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 389-418, March.
- M Arellano & O Bover, 1990.
"Another Look at the Instrumental Variable Estimation of Error-Components Models,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0007, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bover, Olympia, 1995. "Another look at the instrumental variable estimation of error-components models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 29-51, July.
- Bowsher, Clive G., 2002. "On testing overidentifying restrictions in dynamic panel data models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 77(2), pages 211-220, October.
- Guillermo A. Calvo, 1998. "Capital Flows and Capital-Market Crises: The Simple Economics of Sudden Stops," Journal of Applied Economics, Universidad del CEMA, vol. 0, pages 35-54, November.
- Alan A. Bevan & Saul Estrin, 2000. "The Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment in Transition Economies," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 342, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Sarno, Lucio & Taylor, Mark P., 1999. "Hot money, accounting labels and the permanence of capital flows to developing countries: an empirical investigation," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(2), pages 337-364, August.
- Nada Mora & Ratna Sahay & Jeromin Zettelmeyer & Pietro Garibaldi, 2002.
"What Moves Capital to Transition Economies?,"
IMF Working Papers
02/64, International Monetary Fund.
- Biswas, Romita, 2002. "Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 6(3), pages 492-504, October.
- Stijn Claessens & Daniel Oks & Rossana Polastri, 2000.
"Capital Flows to Central and Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union,"
in: Capital Flows and the Emerging Economies: Theory, Evidence, and Controversies, pages 299-339
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Claessens,Constantijn A. & Oks, Daniel & Polastri, Rossana, 1998. "Capital flows to Central and Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1976, The World Bank.
- Michael Gavin & Ricardo Hausmann & Leonardo Leiderman, 1995. "Macroeconomics of Capital Flows to Latin America: Experience and Policy Issues," Research Department Publications 4012, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Chuhan, Punam & Claessens,Constantijn A. & Mamingi, Nlandu, 1993. "Equity and bond flows to Asia and Latin America : the role of global and country factors," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1160, The World Bank.
- Ricardo Hausmann & Eduardo Fernández-Arias, 2000.
"Foreign Direct Investment: Good Cholesterol?,"
IDB Publications (Working Papers)
6466, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Bekaert, Geert, 1995. "Market Integration and Investment Barriers in Emerging Equity Markets," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 9(1), pages 75-107, January.
- Harvey, Campbell R, 1995. "The Risk Exposure of Emerging Equity Markets," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 9(1), pages 19-50, January.
- Bevan, Alan & Estrin, Saul, 2000. "The Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment in Transition Economies," CEPR Discussion Papers 2638, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Steve Bond, 2002. "Dynamic panel data models: a guide to microdata methods and practice," CeMMAP working papers CWP09/02, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Alejandro LÃ³pez MejÃa, 1999. "Large Capital Flows; A Survey of the Causes, Consequences, and Policy Responses," IMF Working Papers 99/17, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:col:000094:002334. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Clorith Angélica Bahos Olivera)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.