A Signal Of Imperfect Portfolio Capital Adjustments From The Relationschip Between Yields Of Domestic And Foreign Colombian Debt
In this paper we check the relationship between the yields of the Colombian bonds traded in the (secondary) internal market and the yields of the sovereign global securities for the sample period 1999-2001. The hypothesis we maintain is that, under the assumption of capital mobility, it should exist a comovement between the two yields that we effectively find. However, the results suggest that capital mobility is much less than perfect. By invoking concepts of immunization and duration we find evidence of a TAR adjustment cointegration between the two yields plus a constant risk premium for bonds with maturity in 2003 and a symmetric adjustment cointegration between the yields of securities with maturity in 2004. Since the assets are issued by the same issuer (the Colombian Government) the country or credit risks is the same for the bonds we consider that the risk premium is purely connected to currency risks: exchange-rate and inflation risks.
|Date of creation:||31 Aug 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter Isard, 1983. "An Accounting Framework and Some Issues for Modeling How Exchange Rates Respond to the News," NBER Chapters, in: Exchange Rates and International Macroeconomics, pages 19-66 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Meese, R. & Rogoff, K., 1988.
"Was It Real? The Exchange Rate-Interest Differential Ralation Over The Modern Floating-Rate Period,"
368, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Meese, Richard A & Rogoff, Kenneth, 1988. " Was It Real? The Exchange Rate-Interest Differential Relation over the Modern Floating-Rate Period," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 43(4), pages 933-48, September.
- Enders, Walter & Granger, Clive W J, 1998.
"Unit-Root Tests and Asymmetric Adjustment with an Example Using the Term Structure of Interest Rates,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 16(3), pages 304-11, July.
- Enders, Walter & Granger, C. W. J., 1998. "Unit Root Tests and Asymmetric Adjustment with an Example Using the Term Structure of Interest Rates," Staff General Research Papers 1388, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Feldstein, Martin & Horioka, Charles, 1980.
"Domestic Saving and International Capital Flows,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 90(358), pages 314-29, June.
- Michael Dooley & Jeffrey Frankel & Donald J. Mathieson, 1987. "International Capital Mobility: What Do Saving-Investment Correlations Tell Us?," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 34(3), pages 503-530, September.
- Enders, Walter & Siklos, Pierre L, 2001.
"Cointegration and Threshold Adjustment,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 19(2), pages 166-76, April.
- Tom Doan, . "ENDERSIKLOS: RATS procedure to perform Enders-Siklos test for cointegration with threshold effect," Statistical Software Components RTS00064, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Enders-Siklos(2001) JBES paper on threshold cointegration," Statistical Software Components RTZ00053, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Dornbusch, Rudiger, 1976. "Expectations and Exchange Rate Dynamics," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 84(6), pages 1161-76, December.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A, 1979. "On the Mark: A Theory of Floating Exchange Rates Based on Real Interest Differentials," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(4), pages 610-22, September.
- Baxter, Marianne, 1994. "Real exchange rates and real interest differentials: Have we missed the business-cycle relationship?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 5-37, February.
- Tesar, Linda L., 1991.
"Savings, investment and international capital flows,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(1-2), pages 55-78, August.
- Tesar, L.L., 1988. "Savings, Investment And International Capital Flows," RCER Working Papers 154, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Tesar, L.L., 1988. "Savings, Investment And International Capital Flows," Papers 64, Brookings Institution - Working Papers.
- Alan M. Taylor, 1994. "Domestic Saving and International Capital Flows Reconsidered," NBER Working Papers 4892, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Martin Feldstein & Philippe Bacchetta, 1989.
"National Saving and International Investment,"
NBER Working Papers
3164, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John Y. Campbell & Richard H. Clarida, 1987.
"The Dollar and Real Interest Rates,"
NBER Working Papers
2151, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Campbell, John Y. & Clarida, Richard H., 1987. "The dollar and real interest rates," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 103-139, January.
- Ghosh, Atish R, 1995. "International Capital Mobility amongst the Major Industrialised Countries: Too Little or Too Much?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 105(428), pages 107-28, January.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Sebastian Edwards & Mohsin S. Khan, 1985. "Interest Rate Determination in Developing Countries: A Conceptual Framework," NBER Working Papers 1531, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:col:000094:001934. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Clorith Angélica Bahos Olivera)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.