The Measurement of Capital Services in the Czech Republic
When the contribution of capital to aggregate production is to be quantified, a measure of capital services should be used. In this paper I present two experimental measures of capital services for the Czech economy using the OECD methodology. These measures use information on the structure of capital assets by asset type and by the industry in which the capital is used. They weight the contributions of different types of assets by their marginal product instead of by their price, which is the case when using the net capital stock. The analysis shows that growth in the net capital stock, if used as an input into the production function, underestimates the growth of capital input especially in periods of strong investment in highly productive capital assets.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Na Prikope 28, 115 03 Prague 1|
Phone: 00420 2 2442 1111
Fax: 00420 2 2421 8522
Web page: http://www.cnb.cz/en/research/research_intro/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paul Schreyer, 2003. "Capital Stocks, Capital Services and Multi-Factor Productivity Measures," OECD Economic Studies, OECD Publishing, vol. 2003(2), pages 163-184.
- Guido Schwerdt & Jarkko Turunen, 2007.
"Growth In Euro Area Labor Quality,"
Review of Income and Wealth,
International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 53(4), pages 716-734, December.
- Paul M Romer, 1999.
"Endogenous Technological Change,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
2135, David K. Levine.
- Nicholas Oulton & Sylaja Srinivasan, 2005.
"Productivity growth and the role of ICT in the United Kingdom: an industry view, 1970-2000,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
19901, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Nicholas Oulton & Sylaja Srinivasan, 2005. "Productivity Growth and the Role of ICT in the United Kingdom: An Industry View, 1970-2000," CEP Discussion Papers dp0681, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Vaclav Flek a kol., 2001.
"Vykonnost a struktura nabidkove strany,"
Archive of Monetary Policy Division Working Papers
2001/27, Czech National Bank.
- Vladislav Flek & Mojmír Hájek & Jaromír Hurník & Ladislav Prokop & Lenka Racková, 2001.
"Výkonnost a struktura nabídkové strany
[Supply-side performance and structure]," Politická ekonomie, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2001(6).
- Vladislav Flek & Mojmír Hájek & Jaromír Hurník & Ladislav Prokop & Lenka Racková, 2001. "Výkonnost a struktura nabídkové strany
- Nadim Ahmad & François Lequiller & Pascal Marianna & Dirk Pilat & Paul Schreyer & Anita Wölfl, 2003.
"Comparing Labour Productivity Growth in the OECD Area: The Role of Measurement,"
OECD Statistics Working Papers
2003/5, OECD Publishing.
- Nadim Ahmad & François Lequiller & Pascal Marianna & Dirk Pilat & Paul Schreyer & Anita Wölfl, 2003. "Comparing Labour Productivity Growth in the OECD Area: The Role of Measurement," OECD Science, Technology and Industry Working Papers 2003/14, OECD Publishing.
- Albers, Ronald & Vijselaar, Focco, 2002. "New technologies and productivity growth in the euro area," Working Paper Series 0122, European Central Bank.
- Kamil Dybczak & Vladislav Flek & Dana Hajkova & Jaromir Hurnik, 2006. "Supply-Side Performance and Structure in the Czech Republic (1995-2005)," Working Papers 2006/4, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
- repec:prg:jnlpep:v:2005:y:2005:i:3:id:265:p:253-266 is not listed on IDEAS
- Barro, Robert J, 1999.
"Notes on Growth Accounting,"
Journal of Economic Growth,
Springer, vol. 4(2), pages 119-37, June.
- Marcin Piatkowski, 2004. "Does ICT Investment Matter for Growth and Labor Productivity in Transition Economies?," Development and Comp Systems 0402008, EconWPA.
- D. W. Jorgenson & Z. Griliches, 1967. "The Explanation of Productivity Change," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 34(3), pages 249-283.
- Pierre-Olivier Beffy & Patrice Ollivaud & Pete Richardson & Franck Sédillot, 2006. "New OECD Methods for Supply-side and Medium-term Assessments: A Capital Services Approach," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 482, OECD Publishing.
- repec:prg:jnlpep:v:1999:y:1999:i:3:id:50 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cnb:wpaper:2008/11. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jan Babecky)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.