The Measurement of Capital Services in the Czech Republic
When the contribution of capital to aggregate production is to be quantified, a measure of capital services should be used. In this paper I present two experimental measures of capital services for the Czech economy using the OECD methodology. These measures use information on the structure of capital assets by asset type and by the industry in which the capital is used. They weight the contributions of different types of assets by their marginal product instead of by their price, which is the case when using the net capital stock. The analysis shows that growth in the net capital stock, if used as an input into the production function, underestimates the growth of capital input especially in periods of strong investment in highly productive capital assets.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Na Prikope 28, 115 03 Prague 1|
Phone: 00420 2 2442 1111
Fax: 00420 2 2421 8522
Web page: http://www.cnb.cz/en/research/research_intro/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paul M Romer, 1999.
"Endogenous Technological Change,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
2135, David K. Levine.
- Vaclav Flek a kol., 2001.
"Vykonnost a struktura nabidkove strany,"
Archive of Monetary Policy Division Working Papers
2001/27, Czech National Bank.
- Vladislav Flek & Mojmír Hájek & Jaromír Hurník & Ladislav Prokop & Lenka Racková, 2001.
"Výkonnost a struktura nabídkové strany
[Supply-side performance and structure]," Politická ekonomie, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2001(6).
- Vladislav Flek & Mojmír Hájek & Jaromír Hurník & Ladislav Prokop & Lenka Racková, 2001. "Výkonnost a struktura nabídkové strany
- Barro, Robert J, 1999.
"Notes on Growth Accounting,"
Journal of Economic Growth,
Springer, vol. 4(2), pages 119-37, June.
- Jaromír Hurník & David Navrátil, 2005. "Potential Output in the Czech Republic: A Production Function Approach," Prague Economic Papers, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2005(3), pages 253-266.
- Kamil Dybczak & Vladislav Flek & Dana Hajkova & Jaromir Hurnik, 2006. "Supply-Side Performance and Structure in the Czech Republic (1995-2005)," Working Papers 2006/4, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
- Albers, Ronald & Vijselaar, Focco, 2002. "New technologies and productivity growth in the euro area," Working Paper Series 0122, European Central Bank.
- Marcin Piatkowski, 2004. "Does ICT Investment Matter for Growth and Labor Productivity in Transition Economies?," Development and Comp Systems 0402008, EconWPA.
- Paul Schreyer, 2003. "Capital Stocks, Capital Services and Multi-Factor Productivity Measures," OECD Economic Studies, OECD Publishing, vol. 2003(2), pages 163-184.
- Schwerdt, Guido & Turunen, Jarkko, 2006.
"Growth in Euro Area Labour Quality,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5509, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lubomír Lízal, 1999.
"Depreciation rates in a transition economy: evidence from czech panel data,"
Prague Economic Papers,
University of Economics, Prague, vol. 1999(3).
- Lubomir Lizal, 2001. "Depreciation Rates in a Transition Economy: Evidence from Czech Panel Data," Microeconomics 0012004, EconWPA.
- D. W. Jorgenson & Z. Griliches, 1967. "The Explanation of Productivity Change," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 34(3), pages 249-283.
- Nadim Ahmad & François Lequiller & Pascal Marianna & Dirk Pilat & Paul Schreyer & Anita Wölfl, 2003.
"Comparing Labour Productivity Growth in the OECD Area: The Role of Measurement,"
OECD Science, Technology and Industry Working Papers
2003/14, OECD Publishing.
- Nadim Ahmad & François Lequiller & Pascal Marianna & Dirk Pilat & Paul Schreyer & Anita Wölfl, 2003. "Comparing Labour Productivity Growth in the OECD Area: The Role of Measurement," OECD Statistics Working Papers 2003/5, OECD Publishing.
- Nicholas Oulton & Sylaja Srinivasan, 2005.
"Productivity Growth and the Role of ICT in the United Kingdom: An Industry View, 1970-2000,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0681, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Nicholas Oulton & Sylaja Srinivasan, 2005. "Productivity growth and the role of ICT in the United Kingdom: an industry view, 1970-2000," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 19901, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Pierre-Olivier Beffy & Patrice Ollivaud & Pete Richardson & Franck Sédillot, 2006. "New OECD Methods for Supply-side and Medium-term Assessments: A Capital Services Approach," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 482, OECD Publishing.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cnb:wpaper:2008/11. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jan Babecky)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.