Canada's Dairy Supply Management: Comprehensive Review and Outlook for the Future
Since its inception in the Canadian agricultural policy landscape, supply management in the dairy sector has generated interest from various stakeholders. The system has been severely criticized by opponents and strongly defended by proponents, both within and outside of Canada. There is no doubt that changes to supply management may be difficult to achieve, especially from a political point of view. Nevertheless, our assessment is that dairy supply management needs to take further steps to improve its flexibility and efficiency. The approach focuses on an examination of Canada's dairy policy from within which will hopefully initiate a constructive dialogue among stakeholders of the Canadian dairy industry and trigger positive changes. Depuis ses débuts dans la politique agricole canadienne, la gestion des approvisionnements dans le secteur laitier a suscité l'intérêt de divers intervenants. L'approche se concentre sur l'examen de la politique laitière du Canada au sein de laquelle nous espérons entamer un dialogue constructif entre les parties prenantes de l'industrie laitière canadienne et déclencher des changements positifs.
|Date of creation:||01 Oct 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1130 rue Sherbrooke Ouest, suite 1400, Montréal, Quéc, H3A 2M8|
Phone: (514) 985-4000
Fax: (514) 985-4039
Web page: http://www.cirano.qc.ca/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Abdessalem Abbassi & Olivier Bonroy & Jean-Philippe Gervais, 2008. "Dairy Trade Liberalization Impacts in Canada," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 56(3), pages 313-335, 09.
- Frank H. Fuller & Jikun Huang & Hengyun Ma & Scott Rozelle, 2005.
"Rapid Rise of China's Dairy Sector: Factors Behind the Growth in Demand and Supply, The,"
Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications
05-wp394, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Frank H. Fuller & Jikun Huang & Hengyun Ma & Scott Rozelle, 2005. "Rapid Rise of China's Dairy Sector: Factors Behind the Growth in Demand and Supply, The," Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) Publications 05-wp394, Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) at Iowa State University.
- Roberto Mosheim & C.A. Knox Lovell, 2007. "Scale Economies and Inefficiency of U.S. Dairy Farms," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 91(3), pages 777-794.
- Mosheim, Roberto, 2009. "Increasing Size of Dairy Farms Driven by Declining Production Costs," Amber Waves, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service, pages -, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cir:cirtra:2011dt-01. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Webmaster)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.