Per-Unit Duties: Friends or Foes of Developing Country Exporters?
Protectionist instruments such as tariffs can distort the prices of traded goods. This paper explores the impact of specific (per-unit) duties on patterns of agricultural trade. Specific duties may encourage countries to export higher priced products, leading to an “Alchian-Allen effect” on unit values. Their restrictive effect on trade values is smaller for developed compared to developing countries. It can be explained by the specialization of these countries on low-priced products and by the low level of quality differentiation among their exports. Our results highlight the discriminating nature of specific duties for low-income countries.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 33 01 53 68 55 00
Fax: 33 01 53 68 55 01
Web page: http://www.cepii.fr
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Guillaume Gaulier & Soledad Zignago, 2010.
"BACI: International Trade Database at the Product-Level. The 1994-2007 Version,"
2010-23, CEPII research center.
- Gaulier, Guillaume & Zignago, Soledad, 2004. "Notes on BACI (analytical database of international trade). 1989-2002 version," MPRA Paper 32401, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Houssein Guimbard & Sébastien Jean & Mondher Mimouni & Xavier Pichot, 2012.
"MAcMap-HS6 2007, an Exhaustive and Consistent Measure of Applied Protection in 2007,"
CEPII research center, issue 130, pages 99-122.
- Houssein Guimbard & Sébastien Jean & Mondher Mimouni & Xavier Pichot, 2012. "MAcMap-HS6 2007, an exhaustive and consistent measure of applied protection in 2007," Working Papers 2012-10, CEPII research center.
- David Hummels & Alexandre Skiba, 2002.
"Shipping the Good Apples Out? An Empirical Confirmation of the Alchian-Allen Conjecture,"
NBER Working Papers
9023, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David Hummels & Alexandre Skiba, 2004. "Shipping the Good Apples Out? An Empirical Confirmation of the Alchian-Allen Conjecture," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 112(6), pages 1384-1402, December.
- Lionel Fontagné & Guillaume Gaulier & Soledad Zignago, 2007.
"Specialisation across Varieties within Products and North-South Competition,"
2007-06, CEPII research center.
- Lionel Fontagné & Guillaume Gaulier & Soledad Zignago, 2008. "Specialization across varieties and North-South competition," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 23, pages 51-91, 01.
- Richard Baldwin & James Harrigan, 2011.
"Zeros, Quality, and Space: Trade Theory and Trade Evidence,"
American Economic Journal: Microeconomics,
American Economic Association, vol. 3(2), pages 60-88, May.
- Richard Baldwin & James Harrigan, 2007. "Zeros, Quality and Space: Trade Theory and Trade Evidence," NBER Working Papers 13214, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Baldwin, Richard & Harrigan, James, 2007. "Zeros, Quality and Space: Trade Theory and Trade Evidence," CEPR Discussion Papers 6368, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Antoine Berthou & Charlotte Emlinger, 2011.
"The Trade Unit Values Database,"
2011-10, CEPII research center.
- Kalina Manova & Zhiwei Zhang, 2012.
"Export Prices Across Firms and Destinations,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 127(1), pages 379-436.
- Julien Martin, 2010.
"Markups, Quality and Transport Costs,"
2010-17, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Julien Martin, 2009. "Spatial Price Discrimination in International Markets," Working Papers 2009-21, CEPII research center.
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2004.
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
593, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Peter K. Schott, 2004. "Across-product Versus Within-product Specialization in International Trade," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 119(2), pages 646-677, May.
- Maria Priscila Ramos & Jean-Christophe Bureau & Luca Salvatici, 2010. "Trade composition effects of the EU tariff structure: beef imports from Mercosur," Working Papers 38321, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Boumellassa, Houssein & Debucquet, David Laborde & Mitaritonna, Cristina, 2009.
"A picture of tariff protection across the World in 2004: MAcMap-HS6, Version 2,"
IFPRI discussion papers
903, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Houssein Guimbard & David Laborde Debucquet & Cristina Mitaritonna, 2009. "A Picture of Tariff Protection Across the World in 2004 MAcMap-HS6, Version 2," Working Papers 2009-22, CEPII research center.
- Amit Khandelwal, 2010.
"The Long and Short (of) Quality Ladders,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 77(4), pages 1450-1476.
- Paulo Bastos & Joana Silva, .
"The Quality of a Firm’s Exports: Where you Export to Matters,"
08/18, University of Nottingham, GEP.
- Bastos, Paulo & Silva, Joana, 2010. "The quality of a firm's exports: Where you export to matters," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 82(2), pages 99-111, November.
- David Hummels & Peter J. Klenow, 2005. "The Variety and Quality of a Nation's Exports," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 95(3), pages 704-723, June.
- Antoine Bou�t & Yvan Decreux & Lionel Fontagné & Sébastien Jean & David Laborde, 2008. "Assessing Applied Protection across the World," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(5), pages 850-863, November.
- Peter K. Schott, 2008.
"The relative sophistication of Chinese exports,"
CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 23, pages 5-49, 01.
- Maria Priscila Ramos & Jean-Christophe Bureau & Luca Salvatici, 2010. "Trade composition effects of the EU tariff structure: beef imports from Mercosur," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 37(1), pages 1-26, March.
- repec:cii:cepiei:2011-q4-128 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cii:cepidt:2013-23. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.