Bidding and Drilling on Offshore Wildcat Tracts
I study a game in which firms first bid on wildcat tracts and then time their drilling decisions. In an equilibrium bids are used as a coordination device: if player i bid low while player -i bid high, player i waits while player -i drills. This equilibrium is consistent with the empirical findings of Hendricks and Porter (1996). Firms know that by bidding "low" they can be allocated the right to free-ride. This induces "optimistic" firms to submit "low" bids. Nonetheless, this equilibrium need not reduce expected revenues as compared to the benchmark case in which one abstracts from signalling issues.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Camino a Sta. Teresa 930, Mexico, D.F. 10700|
Phone: +525 628 4197
Fax: +525 628 4058
Web page: http://cie.itam.mx/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lawrence M. Ausubel & Peter Cramton & Paul Milgrom, 2004.
"The Clock-Proxy Auction: A Practical Combinatorial Auction Design,"
Papers of Peter Cramton
04mit5, University of Maryland, Department of Economics - Peter Cramton, revised 2004.
- Lawrence M. Ausubel & Peter Crampton & Paul Milgrom, 2004. "The Clock-Proxy Auction: A Practical Combinatorial Auction Design," Discussion Papers 03-034, Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research.
- Christopher Avery, 1998. "Strategic Jump Bidding in English Auctions," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 65(2), pages 185-210.
- Goeree, Jacob K., 2003. "Bidding for the future: signaling in auctions with an aftermarket," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 108(2), pages 345-364, February.
- Leandro Arozamena & Estelle Cantillon, 2000.
"Investment Incentives in Procurement Auctions,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1276, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Leandro Arozamena & Estelle Cantillon, 2004. "Investment incentives in procurement auctions," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/9005, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Arozamena, Leandro & Cantillon, Estelle, 2001. "Investment Incentives in Procurement Auctions," CEPR Discussion Papers 2676, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Chamley, Christophe & Gale, Douglas, 1994.
"Information Revelation and Strategic Delay in a Model of Investment,"
Econometric Society, vol. 62(5), pages 1065-85, September.
- Gale, D. & Chamley, C., 1992. "Information Revelation and Strategic Delay in a Model of Investment," Papers 10, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Haile, Philip A., 2003. "Auctions with private uncertainty and resale opportunities," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 108(1), pages 72-110, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cie:wpaper:0805. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Diego Dominguez)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.