A Reassesment of Flexible Price Evidence Using Scanner Data: Evidence from an Emerging Economy
In this paper we use a new database of scanner-level prices for the Chilean economy to characterize the microeconomic behavior of prices during a period of high inflation. We are able to characterize the price-setting behavior by supermarket chain. The evidence indicates that there is significant heterogeneity in the pricing behavior of individual retailers. Analyzing the source of shocks, results show that even though chain-specific shocks account for a sizable fraction of the observed variation, common (i.e. countrywide) shocks to individual goods and product categories are the most important factors to explain the behavior of prices. In other words, the pricing strategy of retailers seems less important in developing countries to explain microeconomic price dynamics.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (562) 670 2000
Fax: (562) 698 4847
Web page: http://www.bcentral.cl/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Emi Nakamura, 2008.
"Pass-Through in Retail and Wholesale,"
NBER Working Papers
13965, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Borraz, Fernando & Zipitría, Leandro, 2010.
"Price Setting in Retailing: the Case of Uruguay,"
27712, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Fernando Borraz & Leandro Zipitría, 2012. "Price Setting in Retailing: The Case of Uruguay," ECONOMIA JOURNAL OF THE LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION, ECONOMIA JOURNAL OF THE LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION.
- Rodrigo Alfaro & Natalia Gallardo & Roberto Stein, 2010. "The Determinants of Household Debt Defa," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 574, Central Bank of Chile.
- Fisher, Timothy C. G. & Konieczny, Jerzy D., 2000. "Synchronization of price changes by multiproduct firms: evidence from Canadian newspaper prices," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 68(3), pages 271-277, September.
- Ivan Faiella & Romina Gambacorta, 2007. "The Weighting Process in the SHIW," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 636, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Juan Pablo Medina G. & David Rappoport W. & Claudio Soto G., 2007.
"Dynamics of Price Adjustments: Evidence From Micro Level Data For Chile,"
Journal Economía Chilena (The Chilean Economy),
Central Bank of Chile, vol. 10(2), pages 5-26, August.
- Juan Pablo Medina & David Rappoport & Claudio Soto, 2007. "Dynamics of Price Adjustments: Evidence From Micro Level Data for Chile," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 432, Central Bank of Chile.
- Jeffrey M. Wooldridge, 1999. "Asymptotic Properties of Weighted M-Estimators for Variable Probability Samples," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 67(6), pages 1385-1406, November.
- Andrés Sagner, 2009. "Determinantes del Precio de Viviendas en Chile," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 549, Central Bank of Chile.
- Jaime Ruiz-Tagle & Francis Vella, 2010. "Borrowing Constraints and Credit Demand," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 578, Central Bank of Chile.
- David Bravo & Jere R. Behrman & Olivia s. Mitchell & Petra E. Todd. & Javiera Vásquez, 2008. "Encuesta de protección social 2006: Presentación general y principales resultados," Working Papers wp273, University of Chile, Department of Economics.
- repec:mpr:mprres:4780 is not listed on IDEAS
- Emi Nakamura & Jón Steinsson, 2008. "Five Facts about Prices: A Reevaluation of Menu Cost Models," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 123(4), pages 1415-1464, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:chb:bcchwp:632. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Claudio Sepulveda)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.