Tasas de Crédito Ajustadas por Riesgo e Implicancias para Políticas de Tasa Máxima Convencional
This work estimates the impact of different policies of Interest Rate Ceilings on the proportion of families excluded from credit access in Chile. Using the default probabilities estimated by a probit model based on demographic variables and financial debt-load, I simulate the distribution of risk-adjusted interest rates of Chilean households for different shocks to income and employment. The results imply that an interest rate ceiling factor of 0.35 would exclude 11% to 18% of the families from credit access, depending on the severity of the shock. This exclusion is heavily concentrated on the poorest income quintiles.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Casilla No967, Santiago|
Phone: (562) 670 2000
Fax: (562) 698 4847
Web page: http://www.bcentral.cl/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Villegas, Daniel J, 1982. " An Analysis of the Impact of Interest Rate Ceilings," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 37(4), pages 941-954, September.
- Pierre-Olivier Gourinchas & Jonathan A. Parker, 2002.
"Consumption Over the Life Cycle,"
Econometric Society, vol. 70(1), pages 47-89, January.
- Gourinchas, P.O. & Parker, J.A., 1997. "Consumption Over the Life Cycle," Working papers 9722, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Pierre-Olivier Gourinchas & Jonathan A. Parker, 1999. "Consumption Over the Life Cycle," NBER Working Papers 7271, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gourinchas, Pierre-Olivier & Parker, Jonathan A, 2000. "Consumption Over the Life-Cycle," CEPR Discussion Papers 2345, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Rodrigo Alfaro & Natalia Gallardo & Roberto Stein, 2010. "The Determinants of Household Debt Defa," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 574, Central Bank of Chile.
- Rodrigo Alfaro A. & David Pacheco L. & Andrés Sagner T, 2011. "Dinámica de la Tasa de Incumplimiento de Créditos de Consumo en Cuotas," Notas de Investigación Journal Economía Chilena (The Chilean Economy), Central Bank of Chile, vol. 14(2), pages 119-124, August.
- Zinman, Jonathan, 2010.
"Restricting consumer credit access: Household survey evidence on effects around the Oregon rate cap,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 546-556, March.
- Jonathan Zinman, 2008. "Restricting consumer credit access: household survey evidence on effects around the Oregon rate cap," Working Papers 08-32, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Peterson, Richard L, 1983. " Usury Laws and Consumer Credit: A Note," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 38(4), pages 1299-1304, September.
- Abowd, John M & Card, David, 1989.
"On the Covariance Structure of Earnings and Hours Changes,"
Econometric Society, vol. 57(2), pages 411-445, March.
- John M. Abowd & David Card, 1986. "On the Covariance Structure of Earnings and Hours Changes," NBER Working Papers 1832, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Greer, Douglas F, 1975. "Rate Ceilings and Loan Turndowns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 30(5), pages 1376-1383, December.
- Carroll, Christopher D. & Samwick, Andrew A., 1997. "The nature of precautionary wealth," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 41-71, September.
- Villegas, Daniel J., 1987. "The impact of usury ceilings on revolving credit," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 285-288.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:chb:bcchwp:654. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Claudio Sepulveda)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.