Proceso de Endeudamiento y Sobre Endeudamiento de los Hogares en Chile
During the last years Chile has experienced a great expansion in access to household credit. This has led to important increases of indebtedness, in particular by the poorest income quintile. In this paper we analyze the evolution and the determinants of debt and over-indebtedness in last decade, as well as the robustness of the changes, using the Survey of Household Finances and the Social Protection Survey. The study also explores the role of shocks and preferences of individuals on household debt. The analysis shows that participation in indebtedness grows with income. We also find that the ratios of debt of the first quintile diminish significantly when considering the earning capacity of the household, so it can be inferred that this quintile would be less indebted than what can be thought from traditional indicators. On the other hand, the paper concludes that the effects of shocks (of health, income and spending on education) in the over-indebtedness are heterogeneous according to the different measures of debt used. Besides, it appears that individual characteristics such as having self-control problems, low self-esteem and low financial literacy are correlated with the level of household indebtedness.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (562) 670 2000
Fax: (562) 698 4847
Web page: http://www.bcentral.cl/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jappelli, Tullio, 1990. "Who Is Credit Constrained in the U.S. Economy?," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 105(1), pages 219-34, February.
- James X. Sullivan, 2008.
"Borrowing During Unemployment: Unsecured Debt as a Safety Net,"
Journal of Human Resources,
University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 43(2), pages 383-412.
- James X. Sullivan, 2005. "Borrowing during unemployment: unsecured debt as a safety net," Proceedings 958, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Jaime Ruiz-Tagle & Francis Vella, 2010. "Borrowing Constraints and Credit Demand," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 578, Central Bank of Chile.
- Daniel J. Benjamin & Sebastian A. Brown & Jesse M. Shapiro, 2006.
"Who is “Behavioral”? Cognitive Ability and Anomalous Preferences,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
122247000000001334, David K. Levine.
- Daniel J. Benjamin & Sebastian A. Brown & Jesse M. Shapiro, 2013. "Who Is ‘Behavioral’? Cognitive Ability And Anomalous Preferences," Journal of the European Economic Association, European Economic Association, vol. 11(6), pages 1231-1255, December.
- Rodrigo Alfaro & Natalia Gallardo & Roberto Stein, 2010. "The Determinants of Household Debt Defa," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 574, Central Bank of Chile.
- Tullio Jappelli & Marco Pagano & Marco di Maggio, 2008.
"Households’ Indebtedness and Financial Fragility,"
CSEF Working Papers
208, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy, revised 09 Sep 2010.
- Jappelli Tullio & Pagano Marco & Di Maggio Marco, 2013. "Households' indebtedness and financial fragility," Journal of Financial Management, Markets and Institutions, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 1, pages 23-46, January.
- José Miguel Matus & Nancy Silva & Alejandra Marinovic & Karla Flores, 2010. "Una Visión Global de la Deuda Financiera de los Hogares Chilenos en la Última Década," Economic Statistics Series 81, Central Bank of Chile.
- Hugo Salgado & Alejandra Chovar, 2010. "¿Cuánto Influyen las Tarjetas de Crédito y la Deuda Hipotecaria en el Sobre Endeudamiento de los Hogares en CHile," Working Papers 12-2010, Departamento de Economía, Universidad de Concepción.
- Felipe Martínez & Rodrigo Cifuentes & Carlos Madeira & Rubén Poblete-Cazenave, 2013. "Measurement of Household Financial Risk with the Survey of Household Finances," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 682, Central Bank of Chile.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:chb:bcchwp:703. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Claudio Sepulveda)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.