Productivity, Innovations and Exports in the Chilean Manufacturing Industry
This paper studies the relationship among exports, productivity and technological innovation for Chilean manufacturing plants. Firstly, we address the causality between exporting and plant productivity. Our results, consistently with most of the evidence for other economies, suggest that only the more productive plants are able to export, but there is not strong support for the hypothesis of learning by exporting. In addition, we explore whether there are other types of learning originated in the exporting activity. In contrast to recent evidence for other economies, we do not find positive effects of regional and industry agglomeration of exporters on the probability of exporting. Finally, we analyze if innovation is associated with improvements in firm export performance. Using information about product and process innovation and expenditure in R&D, we do not find evidence that the probability of exporting is affected by innovation.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (562) 670 2000
Fax: (562) 698 4847
Web page: http://www.bcentral.cl/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stefan Lachenmaier; Ludger Woessmann, 2004.
"Does Innovation Cause Exports? Evidence from Exogenous Innovation Impulses and Obstacles Using German Micro Data,"
Econometric Society 2004 Australasian Meetings
200, Econometric Society.
- Stefan Lachenmaier & Ludger Wö�mann, 2006. "Does innovation cause exports? Evidence from exogenous innovation impulses and obstacles using German micro data," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 58(2), pages 317-350, April.
- Lachenmaier, Stefan & Wößmann, Ludger, 2006. "Does innovation cause exports? Evidence from exogenous innovation impulses and obstacles using German micro data," Munich Reprints in Economics 19482, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Jan De Loecker, 2004.
"Do Exports Generate Higher Productivity? Evidence from Slovenia,"
LICOS Discussion Papers
15104, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- De Loecker, Jan, 2007. "Do exports generate higher productivity? Evidence from Slovenia," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 69-98, September.
- José Miguel Benavente & Rodolfo Lauterbach, 2006.
"Technological Innovation and Employment: Complements or Substitutes,"
wp221, University of Chile, Department of Economics.
- Jose Miguel Benavente & Rodolfo Lauterbach, 2008. "Technological innovation and employment: complements or substitutes?," The European Journal of Development Research, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 20(2), pages 318-329.
- Blundell, Richard & Costa Dias, Monica, 2008.
"Alternative Approaches to Evaluation in Empirical Microeconomics,"
IZA Discussion Papers
3800, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Richard Blundell & Monica Costa Dias, 2009. "Alternative Approaches to Evaluation in Empirical Microeconomics," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 44(3).
- Richard Blundell & Monica Costa Dias, 2008. "Alternative approaches to evaluation in empirical microeconomics," CeMMAP working papers CWP26/08, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Richard Blundell & Mónica Costa Dias, 2008. "Alternative Approaches to Evaluation in Empirical Microeconomics," CEF.UP Working Papers 0805, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Richard Blundell & Monica Costa Dias, 2002. "Alternative approaches to evaluation in empirical microeconomics," CeMMAP working papers CWP10/02, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Roberts, Mark J & Tybout, James R, 1997. "The Decision to Export in Colombia: An Empirical Model of Entry with Sunk Costs," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(4), pages 545-64, September.
- Marc J. Melitz, 2003.
"The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity,"
Econometric Society, vol. 71(6), pages 1695-1725, November.
- Mark J. Melitz, 2002. "The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity," NBER Working Papers 8881, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Melitz, Marc J, 2002. "The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity," CEPR Discussion Papers 3381, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Stefan Lachenmaier & Ludger Woessmann, 2004. "Does Innovation Cause Exports? Evidence from Exogenous Innovation Impulses and Obstacles," CESifo Working Paper Series 1178, CESifo Group Munich.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:chb:bcchwp:476. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Claudio Sepulveda)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.