Modelling Firm-Product Level Trade: A Multi-Dimensional Random Effects Panel Data Approach
The paper deals with the problems of formalizing econometric models on firm-product level trade data sets, or similar economic flows. A multi-dimensional random effects panel data approach is adopted. Several models are introduced taking into account different types of specific effects, interactions and cross correlations. The respective covariance matrixes are derived, as well as procedures to estimate the unknown variance and covariance components, in order to make the Feasible Generalized Least Squares estimation operational. Whenever possible, the spectral decomposition of the covariance matrixes is also provided to make the estimation procedure simpler to implement. Both balanced and unbalanced data sets are considered.
|Date of creation:||21 Feb 2013|
|Date of revision:||08 May 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (36-1) 327-3000
Fax: (36-1) 327-3001
Web page: http://economics.ceu.hu/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fabrice Defever & Farid Toubal, 2007.
"Productivity and the Sourcing Modes of Multinational Firms: Evidence from French Firm-Level Data,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0842, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Fabrice Defever & Farid Toubal, 2007. "Productivity and the sourcing modes of multinational firms: evidence from French firm-level data," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 19655, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Olaf Hübler, 2006. "Multilevel and nonlinear panel data models," AStA Advances in Statistical Analysis, Springer, vol. 90(1), pages 121-136, March.
- Antoine Berthou & Lionel Fontagné, 2013.
"How do Multiproduct Exporters React to a Change in Trade Costs?,"
PSE - Labex "OSE-Ouvrir la Science Economique"
- Antoine Berthou & Lionel Fontagné, 2013. "How do Multiproduct Exporters React to a Change in Trade Costs?," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 115(2), pages 326-353, 04.
- László Mátyás & Cecilia Hornok & Daria Pus, 2012.
"The Formulation and Estimation of Random Effects Panel Data Models of Trade,"
CEU Working Papers
2012_1, Department of Economics, Central European University, revised 25 Mar 2013.
- Matyas, Laszlo & Hornok, Cecilia & Pus, Daria, 2012. "The formulation and estimation of random effects panel data models of trade," MPRA Paper 36789, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Costas Arkolakis & Marc-Andreas Muendler, 2010.
"The Extensive Margin of Exporting Products: A Firm-level Analysis,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3309, CESifo Group Munich.
- Costas Arkolakis & Marc-Andreas Muendler, 2010. "The Extensive Margin of Exporting Products: A Firm-level Analysis," NBER Working Papers 16641, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Corcos, Gregory & Irac, Delphine & Mion, Giordano & Verdier, Thierry, 2009.
"The Determinants of Intra-Firm Trade,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7530, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Laszlo Matyas, 1997. "Proper Econometric Specification of the Gravity Model," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 20(3), pages 363-368, 05.
- Görg, Holger & Halpern, László & Muraközy, Balázs, 2010.
"Why do within firm-product export prices differ across markets?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7708, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Holger Gorg & Laszlo Halpern & Balazs Murakozy, 2010. "Why Do Within Firm-Product Export Prices Differ across Markets?," IEHAS Discussion Papers 1003, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
- Holger Görg & László Halpern & Balász Muraközy, 2010. "Why do within firm-product export prices differ across markets?," Kiel Working Papers 1596, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Balazs Murakozy & Gabor Bekes, 2009. "Temporary Trade," IEHAS Discussion Papers 0909, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
- Davis, Peter, 2002. "Estimating multi-way error components models with unbalanced data structures," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 106(1), pages 67-95, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ceu:econwp:2013_2. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anita Apor)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.