The Emergence of the Global Fintech Market: Economic and Technological Determinants
We investigate the economic and technological determinants inducing entrepreneurs to establish ventures with the purpose of reinventing financial technology (fintech). We find that countries witness more fintech startup formations when the latest technology is readily available and people have more mobile telephone subscriptions. Furthermore, the available labor force has a positive impact on the development of this new market segment. Finally, the more sound the financial system, the lower the number of fintech startups in a country. Overall, the evidence suggests that fintech startup formation need not be left to chance, but active policies can influence the emergence of this new sector.
|Date of creation:||2016|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Poschingerstrasse 5, 81679 Munich|
Phone: +49 (89) 9224-0
Fax: +49 (89) 985369
Web page: http://www.cesifo-group.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rajkamal Iyer & Asim Ijaz Khwaja & Erzo F. P. Luttmer & Kelly Shue, 2016.
"Screening Peers Softly: Inferring the Quality of Small Borrowers,"
INFORMS, vol. 62(6), pages 1554-1577, June.
- Rajkamal Iyer & Asim Ijaz Khwaja & Erzo F.P. Luttmer & Kelly Shue, 2009. "Screening Peers Softly: Inferring the Quality of Small Borrowers," NBER Working Papers 15242, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Asim Khwaja & Rajkamal Iyer & Erzo Luttmer & Kelly Shue, 2013. "Screening Peers Softly: Inferring the Quality of Small Borrowers," CID Working Papers 259, Center for International Development at Harvard University.
- Iyer, Rajkamal & Khwaja, Asim Ijaz & Luttmer, Erzo F. P. & Shue, Kelly, 2013. "Screening Peers Softly: Inferring the Quality of Small Borrowers," Working Paper Series rwp13-017, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Luigi Guiso & Paola Sapienza & Luigi Zingales, 2013. "The Determinants of Attitudes toward Strategic Default on Mortgages," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 68(4), pages 1473-1515, 08.
- Luigi Guiso & Paola Sapienza & Luigi Zingales, 2010. "The Determinants of Attitudes towards Strategic Default on Mortgages," Economics Working Papers ECO2010/31, European University Institute.
- Evans, David S & Jovanovic, Boyan, 1989. "An Estimated Model of Entrepreneurial Choice under Liquidity Constraints," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(4), pages 808-827, August.
- Bernard S. Black & Ronald J. Gilson, 1999. "Does Venture Capital Require An Active Stock Market?," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 11(4), pages 36-48.
- Burtch, Gordon & Ghose, Anindya & Wattal, Sunil, 2015. "The hidden cost of accommodating crowdfunder privacy preferences: a randomized field experiment," Journal of Financial Perspectives, EY Global FS Institute, vol. 3(3), pages 138-154.
- Gordon Burtch & Anindya Ghose & Sunil Wattal, 2015. "The Hidden Cost of Accommodating Crowdfunder Privacy Preferences: A Randomized Field Experiment," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 61(5), pages 949-962, May.
- Alexandra Schindele & Andrea Szczesny, 2016. "The impact of Basel II on the debt costs of German SMEs," Journal of Business Economics, Springer, vol. 86(3), pages 197-227, April.
- Campello, Murillo & Graham, John R. & Harvey, Campbell R., 2010. "The real effects of financial constraints: Evidence from a financial crisis," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 97(3), pages 470-487, September.
- Murillo Campello & John Graham & Campbell R. Harvey, 2009. "The Real Effects of Financial Constraints: Evidence from a Financial Crisis," NBER Working Papers 15552, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Elisabete Félix & Cesaltina Pires & Mohamed Gulamhussen, 2013. "The Determinants of Venture Capital in Europe — Evidence Across Countries," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer;Western Finance Association, vol. 44(3), pages 259-279, December.
- Elisabete Gomes Santana Felix & Cesaltina Pires & Mohamed Azzim Gulamhussenb, 2007. "The Determinants of Venture Capital in Europe - Evidence Across Countries," CEFAGE-UE Working Papers 2007_01, University of Evora, CEFAGE-UE (Portugal).
- Mollick, Ethan, 2014. "The dynamics of crowdfunding: An exploratory study," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 1-16.
- Blau, David M, 1987. "A Time-Series Analysis of Self-employment in the United State," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 95(3), pages 445-467, June.
- Rainer Böhme & Nicolas Christin & Benjamin Edelman & Tyler Moore, 2015. "Bitcoin: Economics, Technology, and Governance," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 29(2), pages 213-238, Spring.
- Neil Gandal & Hanna Halaburda, 2016. "Can We Predict the Winner in a Market with Network Effects? Competition in Cryptocurrency Market," Games, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 7(3), pages 1-21, July.
- Dosi, Giovanni, 1993. "Technological paradigms and technological trajectories : A suggested interpretation of the determinants and directions of technical change," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 102-103, April.
- Dosi, Giovanni, 1982. "Technological paradigms and technological trajectories : A suggested interpretation of the determinants and directions of technical change," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 147-162, June.
- Jeffrey G. York & Michael J. Lenox, 2014. "Exploring the sociocultural determinants of de novo versus de alio entry in emerging industries," Strategic Management Journal, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(13), pages 1930-1951, December.
- Blanchflower, David G & Meyer, Bruce D, 1994. "A Longitudinal Analysis of the Young Self-Employed in Australia and the United States," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 6(1), pages 1-19, February. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ces:ceswps:_6131. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Klaus Wohlrabe)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.