Empirical likelihood for high frequency data
With increasing availability of high frequency financial data as a background, various volatility measures and related statistical theory are developed in the recent literature. This paper introduces the method of empirical likelihood to conduct statistical inference on the volatility measures under high frequency data environments. We propose a modified empirical likelihood statistic that is asymptotically pivotal under the infill asymptotics, where the number of high frequency observations in a fixed time interval increases to infinity. Our empirical likelihood approach is extended to be robust to the presence of jumps and microstructure noise. We also provide an empirical likelihood test to detect presence of jumps. Furthermore, we establish Bartlett correction, a higher-order refinement, for a general nonparametric likelihood statistic. Simulation and a real data example illustrate the usefulness of our approach.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2017|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://sticerd.lse.ac.uk/_new/publications/default.asp|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Barndorff-Nielsen, Ole E. & Shephard, Neil & Winkel, Matthias, 2006.
"Limit theorems for multipower variation in the presence of jumps,"
Stochastic Processes and their Applications,
Elsevier, vol. 116(5), pages 796-806, May.
- Ole E. Barndorff-Nielsen & Neil Shephard & Matthias Winkel, 2005. "Limit theorems for multipower variation in the presence of jumps," OFRC Working Papers Series 2005fe06, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Ole E. Barndorff-Nielsen & Neil Shephard & Matthias Winkel, 2005. "Limit theorems for multipower variation in the presence of jumps," Economics Papers 2005-W07, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Ole E. Barndorff-Nielsen & Neil Shephard, 2006. "Econometrics of Testing for Jumps in Financial Economics Using Bipower Variation," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 4(1), pages 1-30.
- Ole E. Barndorff-Nielsen & Neil Shephard, 2003. "Econometrics of testing for jumps in financial economics using bipower variation," Economics Papers 2003-W21, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Ole E. Barndorff-Nielsen & Neil Shephard, 2004. "Econometrics of testing for jumps in financial economics using bipower variationÂ," OFRC Working Papers Series 2004fe01, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cep:stiecm:591. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.