Inequality and Envy
Using a simple axiomatic structure we characterise two classes ofinequality indices - absolute and relative - that take into account "envy"in the income distribution. The concept of envy incorporated hereconcerns the distance of each person's income from his or herimmediately richer neighbour. This is shown to be similar to justiceconcepts based on income relativities.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://sticerd.lse.ac.uk/_new/publications/default.asp|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frank Cowell & Udo Ebert, 2004.
"Complaints and inequality,"
Social Choice and Welfare,
Springer, vol. 23(1), pages 71-89, 08.
- Frank A Cowell & Udo Ebert, 2002. "Complaints and Inequality," STICERD - Distributional Analysis Research Programme Papers 61, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Frank Cowell & Udo Ebert, 2002. "Complaints and inequality," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 2204, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- BOSSERT, Walter & D’AMBROSIO, Conchita, 2004.
"Reference Groups and Individual Deprivation,"
Cahiers de recherche
13-2004, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Falk, Armin & Knell, Markus, 2004.
"Choosing the Joneses: Endogenous Goals and Reference Standards,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4459, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Armin Falk & Markus Knell, 2004. "Choosing the Joneses: Endogenous Goals and Reference Standards," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 106(3), pages 417-435, October.
- Falk, Armin & Knell, Markus, 2004. "Choosing the Joneses: Endogenous Goals and Reference Standards," IZA Discussion Papers 1152, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Yitzhaki, Shlomo, 1982. "Relative deprivation and economic welfare," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 99-113.
- Arnsperger, Christian, 1994. " Envy-Freeness and Distributive Justice," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 8(2), pages 155-86, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cep:stidar:88. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.