Early Evidence of Welfare Changes in the Kyrgyz Republic: Have Things Got Worse with Reforms?
The early 1990s saw the rapid introduction of policies that were to reform the centrally planned economies in CEE and FSU. These policies were expected to lead to improvements in welfare. Studies on the transition projected initial falls in inequality and increases in poverty, which are confirmed here. This paper examines to what extent effects to overall welfare can be discerned from the data in a highly rural economy in a Republic in the FSU. The analysis uses Kyrgyz household survey data for 1993 and 1996.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://sticerd.lse.ac.uk/_new/publications/default.asp |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rafal Antczak & Marek Dabrowski, 1994. "Economic Reforms in Kyrgyzstan," CASE Network Studies and Analyses 0028, CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research.
- Sen, Amartya K, 1976. "Poverty: An Ordinal Approach to Measurement," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(2), pages 219-31, March.
- Frank Cowell, 1998.
"Measurement of inequality,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
2084, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Townsend, R.M., 1991.
"Risk and Insurance in Village India,"
University of Chicago - Economics Research Center
91-3, Chicago - Economics Research Center.
- Robert M. Townsend, . "Risk and Insurance in Village India," University of Chicago - Population Research Center 91-3a, Chicago - Population Research Center.
- Ceema Namazie & Peter Sanfey, 1998.
"Happiness in Transition: The Case of Kyrgyzstan,"
Studies in Economics
9808, School of Economics, University of Kent.
- Ceema Zahra Namazie & Peter Sanfey, 1998. "Happiness in Transition: The Case of Kyrgyzstan," STICERD - Distributional Analysis Research Programme Papers 40, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Ceema Namazie & Peter Sanfey, 1998. "Happiness in transition: the case of Kyrgyzstan," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 6591, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Foster, James & Greer, Joel & Thorbecke, Erik, 1984. "A Class of Decomposable Poverty Measures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 761-66, May.
- Grosh, M.E. & Glewwe, P., 1995. "A Guide to Living Standards Measurement Study Surveys and their Data Sets," Papers 120, World Bank - Living Standards Measurement.
- Bergson, Abram, 1984. "Income Inequality under Soviet Socialism," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 22(3), pages 1052-99, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cep:stidar:63. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.