Much of the excitement around the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) has been generated by anticipations of a strongly foreign investment response. Nevertheless, the plethora of applied papers about the NAFTA have all either ignored DFI or kept it exogenous. In this paper we provide support, with empirical underpinning, for the anticipation of a strong DFI response; however this support is qualified by the demonstration that no such DFI response will be forthcoming unless the NAFTA is used to drastically reform the agriculture and services sectors in Mexico.
|Date of creation:||Nov 1993|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://cep.lse.ac.uk/_new/publications/series.asp?prog=CEP|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Levy, Santiago & Wijnbergen, Sweder van, 1994. "Labor markets, migration and welfare Agriculture in the North-American Free Trade Agreement," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 263-278, April.
- Krugman, Paul & Venables, Anthony J, 1990. "Integration and the Competitiveness of Peripheral Industry," CEPR Discussion Papers 363, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Magnus Blomstrom & Edward N. Wolff, 1989.
"Multinational Corporations and Productivity Convergence in Mexico,"
NBER Working Papers
3141, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blomstrom, Magnus & Wolff, E.N., 1989. "Multinational Corporations And Productivity Convergence In Mexico," Working Papers 89-28, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Roland-Holst, David & Reinert, Kenneth A. & Shiells, Clinton R., 1994. "NAFTA liberalization and the role of nontariff barriers," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 137-168.
- Levy, Santiago & van Wijnbergen, Sweder, 1992.
"Transition Problems in Economic Reform: Agriculture in the Mexico-US Free Trade Agreement,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
624, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Levy, Santiago & van Wijnbergen, Sweder, 1992. "Transition problems in economic reform : agriculture in the Mexico - U.S. free trade agreement," Policy Research Working Paper Series 967, The World Bank.
- Magnus Blomstrom & Robert E. Lipsey & Lennart Ohlsson, 1989. "What Do Rich Countries Trade with Each Other? R&D and the Composition of U.S. and Swedish Trade," NBER Working Papers 3140, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cep:cepdps:dp0177. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.